Stolen from someone unloading their car.

wildfowler1

Has anyone heard about this theft in London of a Beretta EELL. Seems as though someone was unloading their car and a passer by picked it up and disappeared. Wf1

Madness, the first thing you do Is lock your firearm away . And then deal with the rest, what was He or she thinking about.
He can kiss his certificate good bye I'm sure.

Not sure what would make you leave a shotgun unattended in the open air. Forgetfulness perhaps. If it's anything else, he deserves all he gets. If it is forgetfulness, then he'll likely get the same anyway, but I would have a bit of sympathy for him. Either way, I expect he will be wanting a groundhog day to get it right next time. If that happens, maybe he will look after it a bit better, security wise and cosmetically.

That's a fairly expensive gun to try and get rid of if that's what the thief is going to do.

I can easily see how this could happen to any of us. Park car pick up gun case and two other bags as its a 200 metre walk to your flat. Get to front door. Put cases down, get your keys out and unlock door and as you are unlocking the door somebody grabs the bags. Exactly that happened to me. I had a full rucksack and as I was unlocking somebody on a bike grabbed it and ran - fortunately it didn't have a gun in it.

We don't know the full story, but regardless there is somebody who has stolen and is now in the unlawful possession of a firearm which he obtained illegally. Let's not have trial by SD again.

Why do you all assume that he will get his license revoked ?

Because he or she left a gun unattended long enough for the person or persons unknown to make
enquiries as to who's gun it was before they took it.

Neil. :)

Similar happened to an elderly Lady I know. She was off shooting,loading the car and put gun in slip on roof. Went to get her dogs,put them in the car and drove off. The gun fell off as she got on to a public road and fortunately was handed in to Police, not in the condition a Best English 20 bore should really be in.
They tried to revoke her cert but after talking to her solicitor, who listened to me and then put forward the case of a similar thing happening with a Police firearm she was allowed to keep it. The gun cost a fortune to put right but at least she still has it and can continue with her sport.

I heard a story about someone who left a shotgun in a slip on the roof of a car and drove off. A member of the public picked it up and called the local Police Firearms Department who were able to identify the owner via the serial number and return it to the owner together with a telling off.

Similar happened to an elderly Lady I know. She was off shooting,loading the car and put gun in slip on roof. Went to get her dogs,put them in the car and drove off. The gun fell off as she got on to a public road and fortunately was handed in to Police, not in the condition a Best English 20 bore should really be in.
They tried to revoke her cert but after talking to her solicitor, who listened to me and then put forward the case of a similar thing happening with a Police firearm she was allowed to keep it. The gun cost a fortune to put right but at least she still has it and can continue with her sport.

Don't supose she lives in SW scot?
Know a very similar story think she used to drive a skoda estate, not seen her for a few years now thou.

While the story does sound bad, u have no idea how accurate the reporting is.
I could see instances where it could happen, loaded up motor with guns then nip up to kennel to get dogs etc.

Lot of it is luck, i'm sure many of us have laid guns down at clay grounds etc and not paying them full attention, would anyone notice if someone walked past and helped themselves to a slipped gun of rack

Why do you all assume that he will get his license revoked ?

Simply because the police can, and let's face it they can then say that they have done something about the crime by further punishing the victim whilst not having to bother with the more difficult task of apprehending the offenders and recovering this law abiding person's shotgun.

From first hand experience I can say that the police are absolutely useless at bringing offenders to into Court for theft/burglary type crimes, in Hampshire & Isle of Wight at least.

Don't supose she lives in SW scot?
Know a very similar story think she used to drive a skoda estate, not seen her for a few years now thou.

While the story does sound bad, u have no idea how accurate the reporting is.
I could see instances where it could happen, loaded up motor with guns then nip up to kennel to get dogs etc.

Lot of it is luck, i'm sure many of us have laid guns down at clay grounds etc and not paying them full attention, would anyone notice if someone walked past and helped themselves to a slipped gun of rack

She does, this was back circa 2008, used to follow hounds as well, a fine Lady but haven't seen her since she got her gun back as I moved South.
I was only too glad to give her advice as she was very worried.

Probably the same incident then, was it not after a dog test or trial or something like that?
Details are a bit fuzzy now.

Back