First Muntie

Well it all started on a cool Thursday evening........... Haha. It all happened really quickly, having a quick mooch around and new perm, seen a ton of Muntie tracks and roe. Quietly just walking the grounds and a Muntie just appeared out of no where. Got low, stalked in along a hedge row. Stopped in a gap in the hedge, he walked to me. Took the shot at 110 years, ran around 15yards and dropped. Very very pleased.

I think they are the best tasting of all the deer. Depends how you cook it I guess, anything tastes good on the BBQ.

Willie gunn do you like the taste if muntys ?
imo they are the worst tasting

I'm with HARKER on this - I far prefer muntjac venison over roe, fallow or red. Give me medallions of muntjac, fried in a little butter/oil and garlic, and I'm a very happy chappy. :D

My early experiences with eating venison were with fallow, which almost put me off it for life. I'll often try venison if we're out at a restaurant just to see how others prepare it, and I can't remember a bought dish yet to equal muntjac fillet. I find muntjac lends itself to simple cooking, with no need to drown it in sauce.

By way of example, I took some muntjac fillet to the pub in my village for the chef/owner to try. He is Slovakian (so hadn't come across muntjac before), self-taught, was on Masterchef Professionals, and has transformed the pub into a very popular local restaurant that this year made the Good Food Guide. 10 minutes later a dish came out from the kitchen that was simple but superb, such that I had to fight off people in the pub to keep it for myself.

The only problem with muntjac (other than they can be a bu99er to skin) is that, for much the same amount of effort as a roe or fallow, the carcass yield is pretty low.

I've not tried Sika, which I understand is the equal of muntjac, or CWD.

As ever, though, much will depend on how venison is butchered, aged, handled and cooked.

Last edited:
My in-laws from France at the weekend were having trouble with the word "muntjac" so started referring to the barbecued muntjac backstraps as "beef", which probably gives you an indication of what the meat is like. I did them on a hot charcoal grill for maybe ten minutes, no more than fifteen, so they were rare in the middle.

But it's like all venison, you need to cook it in a way that matches the type of meat that it is to make the best of it.

My in-laws from France at the weekend were having trouble with the word "muntjac" so started referring to the barbecued muntjac backstraps as "beef", which probably gives you an indication of what the meat is like. I did them on a hot charcoal grill for maybe ten minutes, no more than fifteen, so they were rare in the middle.

But it's like all venison, you need to cook it in a way that matches the type of meat that it is to make the best of it.

Glad to hear they survived :D

Tell them to pronounce it "Mont Jacques" and they'll be fine ;)

Back