The difference quad sticks make!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devon County Shooter

View attachment 69889

Been using Anthony Coyle's quad sticks for a few seasons now and they really do take your shots to a new level. This image is a 100 yard DSC1 target which isn't that big at that range! No lateral movement just breathing control required. Before any jokers comment, the red dot shot isn't a flier!!!!!

Contact Limulus on here if your interested in a pair.

Carl.

Not wanting to promote any particular model of quad sticks, but since I bought a set of them, my Knoblochs have not been out the garage. No comparison !

I have tried the quad sticks but when stalking on my own felt I needed a third arm and hand to use them effectively.
However when stalking as a pair (say, with a guide, or with a friend as a spotter) one carrying the rifle, the other the quad stick, they are great.

I'd happily go up against any of the expensive ones with a set of my £10 ones if anyone is up for a challenge?:norty:
MS

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/63360-Monkey-Sticks-!!?highlight=Monkey+Sticks

There's certainly been a lot of rabbits, foxes and deer accounted for by folk following your instructions :D

That said looking at the Hammond Sporting website I can't seen the idea of using a single stick layed across your shoulder, in place of a bi-pod for shooting prone before. So that has to be worth a try.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/dbd709_236522f3ad634e6b8eb52010979c1fed.jpg

(Sorry you'll have to click on the link above, or click on the Hammonds Sporting link and look at the pictures to the bottom right of the man using the quad-sticks conventionally)

There's certainly been a lot of rabbits, foxes and deer accounted for by folk following your instructions :D

That said looking at the Hammond Sporting website I can't seen the idea of using a single stick layed across your shoulder, in place of a bi-pod for shooting prone before. So that has to be worth a try.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/dbd709_236522f3ad634e6b8eb52010979c1fed.jpg

(Sorry you'll have to click on the link above, or click on the Hammonds Sporting link and look at the pictures to the bottom right of the man using the quad-sticks conventionally)

Can't say I've tried that method as I have bipods on all my rifles, but it doesn't look to be very stable? The sticks can bend and rely on the support of your own body which will move whilst breathing along with your pulse. The rear of the rifle is also unsupported other than the shoulder which will also move as previous. I'll give it a go but don't expect it to be very successful.
MS

Can't say I've tried that method as I have bipods on all my rifles, but it doesn't look to be very stable? The sticks can bend and rely on the support of your own body which will move whilst breathing along with your pulse. The rear of the rifle is also unsupported other than the shoulder which will also move as previous. I'll give it a go but don't expect it to be very successful.

Agreed that it is never going to be as stable as a bipod, but it is good to know other options if you haven't got a bipod and need to take a prone shot.

I do sometimes stalk without a bipod though, particularly in the summer when the crops and vegetation is up too high, when I use the following Easy Quad Sticks!!, you should give them a try :cool:

Agreed that it is never going to be as stable as a bipod, but it is good to know other options if you haven't got a bipod and need to take a prone shot.

I do sometimes stalk without a bipod though, particularly in the summer when the crops and vegetation is up too high, when I use the following Easy Quad Sticks!!, you should give them a try :cool:

Doh!:doh:
You got me there!
Can't believe I opened that!:lol:

I'd happily go up against any of the expensive ones with a set of my £10 ones if anyone is up for a challenge?:norty:
MS

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/63360-Monkey-Sticks-!!?highlight=Monkey+Sticks

Theres no doubt MS that your design is as stable as any can get. The problems that have been addressed by "Hammonds" are that they will collapse down for transporting,they arent like something out of the crypton factor to open and deploy,there is a margin of lateral adjustment available and theres no string hanging to get tangled......basically an engineer has got hold of your design and refined it.

Theres no doubt MS that your design is as stable as any can get. The problems that have been addressed by "Hammonds" are that they will collapse down for transporting,they arent like something out of the crypton factor to open and deploy,there is a margin of lateral adjustment available and theres no string hanging to get tangled......basically an engineer has got hold of your design and refined it.

Refined it or made money from it?!
I had some Hammond quad sticks and they were very good and easy to deploy but unless your shooting on flattish fields or tracks they are nigh on impossible to use on any sort of incline/slope, the legs dont
splay enough to get around rifle cant.

They were well made but homemade or Limulus sticks are better for all scenarios.

Expensive optics - cheap optics
Custom rifles - standard rifles
Army surplus - Harkila/KUIU
Factory ammo - homeloads
Mora - custom knife

Garden canes - quad sticks

Thank heavens the stalking church is broad enough to cater for all tastes. ;)

I had some Hammond quad sticks and they were very good and easy to deploy but unless your shooting on flattish fields or tracks they are nigh on impossible to use on any sort of incline/slope, the legs dont

They were well made but homemade or Limulus sticks are better for all scenarios.

Each to there own but have never had any problems on side slopes,just level the rifle up by sliding at humb or finger under...the B+Q are very stable.

Ihav now had a pair of tonys quads about a year and took a while to get used to but now absolutely indispensable. All my rifles have bipods but I now increasingly use sticks. Recently out bunny bashing with the.204 and have been head shooting bunnies out to 190 yds, .204 is super accurate and with a high mag scope and tonys sticks then its very good practice. I must say very little difference between bipod and quad sticks.

D

That is what you call making money from it,no engineering refinement there......may as well have a set of garden canes....

That is what you call making money from it,no engineering refinement there......may as well have a set of garden canes....

Well thats high coming from the ONLY person to threaten me with legal action about distance selling rules even though I made a set of sticks bespoke for you.
you then informed me I had to pay the return postage also!
I returned your money AND paid the postage AND was fecked about over the collection of the returning sticks by you.
now jog on and carry on advertising your beloved Hammond sticks (based on mine!) in every post about quad sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back