Hi Chaps, I've just finished my dissertation "A ballistic investigation into UK air gun crime and law" for my forensics degree though most of it was just stating what most shooters know proving it, and putting it into scientific words i did find some oddities that might be of interest to some people.
- A 10ftlb RWS superdome will travel 147mm (5-6inches) into a block of ballistics gel the same density as human abdomen. which would be straight through a man with a 34inch waist approximately)
- the same pellet will create a non-permanent channel of up to 25mm transmitting shockwaves through the medium over 10 inches from entry site (possibly further that's how big the gel was)
- Light source has a noticeable effect on chrony results; a change from an led light to a fluorescent bulb changed the mean by 20fps or o.2ftlb.
- It's pretty simple to match a pellet to an unknown using a comparison microscope.
- You could rule out pellets from being a match using analytical chemistry