Cutting barrel .222

cowsmart

Have a BSA cf2 .222 with a standard 24" barrel..I'm going to be getting it screw cut and wondering about cutting the barrel down to about 18".. Will this affect performance greatly? Or as I'm thinking the .222 will burn it's small amount of powder and keep velocity or not lose too much..regards Lee

So for foxing at night up to 200 yards it won't make poo all difference..cheers

yep

run a 50 gr vax. and job done, just make sure you get a good cut, thread and recrown done for your sanity,

bob.

Last edited:
i chopped my BRNO down to about 19" ish
stupidly delivered it out of the stock and should have had another couple of inches off

worked very well and I saw no difference in precision or velocity

Have a BSA cf2 .222 with a standard 24" barrel..I'm going to be getting it screw cut and wondering about cutting the barrel down to about 18".. Will this affect performance greatly? Or as I'm thinking the .222 will burn it's small amount of powder and keep velocity or not lose too much..regards Lee

hi lee,i also have a cf2 in .222, just had it taken down to 20 inches and screw cut,didnt make a jot of difference,the foxes still don't like it !!
thomas

A number of years ago a stalking client I took out was a rifle maker from south Africa, and at the time I was using a Remi 700 with a heavy barrel in .223. He told me I could cut the barrel down to 16" and it would not effect the accuracy one bit. He said it is a one in nine twist, rifling and 16" is the desired lenth, ,one and a half turns, in fact he said a barrel any longer was actually not good for the bullet.
I listened to him, but was not brave enough to cut my rifle to 16", but cut it down to 18", and it had no effect on the bullet accuracy, at any range. When I had shot this rifle out, the next Remi that replaced it was cut down, and threaded before it came to me.

Back