Hornady American Whitetail Ammo

cjs66

Has anyone tried the above ammo in 150gr 308? Bought a box today to give them a try. I usually use 150gr SST's. What are they like in comparison?
SST's can, but not always, get a bit messy so, when I saw these at a good price at the Harrogate show, I thought I'd try them.
Will they be far off poi from the SST?

cjs

Has anyone tried the above ammo in 150gr 308? Bought a box today to give them a try. I usually use 150gr SST's. What are they like in comparison?
SST's can, but not always, get a bit messy so, when I saw these at a good price at the Harrogate show, I thought I'd try them.
Will they be far off poi from the SST?

cjs

A friend gave me a handful of these at Bisley last month and I shot them from my Howa s/s varmint .308. Only at 100yds, but 4 touching shots from a barrel that has only had about 100 rounds through it, so only just completed bnreak in. Was very impressed.

Regards

Mark

A friend gave me a handful of these at Bisley last month and I shot them from my Howa s/s varmint .308. Only at 100yds, but 4 touching shots from a barrel that has only had about 100 rounds through it, so only just completed bnreak in. Was very impressed.

Regards

Mark
Break in? What's that??;)
The American Whitetail ammo is very popular in my locale.~Muir

It is what they do wearing a mask and stripped jumper carrying a swag bag and they usually have a crow or pry bar with them.. That is a Break in surely! :D

Thanks Muir :)
It was my first and only new rifle and I read long and hard about the benefits or not of breaking in the barrel. Decided to give it a try while sighting in and getting used to it. Who knows what advantage it will bring, if any.

Conure - no stripy jumper, swag bag or jemmy in sight.

Mark

Thanks Muir :)
It was my first and only new rifle and I read long and hard about the benefits or not of breaking in the barrel. Decided to give it a try while sighting in and getting used to it. Who knows what advantage it will bring, if any.

Conure - no stripy jumper, swag bag or jemmy in sight.

Mark
Running in is a myth but if it makes you more confident, then that in itself is a benefit.~Muir

I get that. The best reasoning I came across was more to do with reducing fouling than improving accuracy. Although one may affect t'other.

Regards

Mark

I get that. The best reasoning I came across was more to do with reducing fouling than improving accuracy. Although one may affect t'other.

Regards

Mark
Bad barrels foul more than others and no amount of shooting and cleaning and shooting and cleaning will cure it. I take a new rifle, clean the filth left from the factory's rapid fire test firing, then shoot it. A lot. Without cleaning. My 308 Ruger Precision got "run-in" with 90 rounds of 168 grain bullets fired in 10 shot strings with the only pause for scope adjustment and magazine reloading. Shoots 1/2 MOA. My Ruger 300AAC got 60 rounds of factory ammo and 100 rounds of handloads in five shot strings. My Tikkas (223x2, 7-08, 308) have all had similar treatment All enviably accurate. I have NEVER run in a rifle. Will it hurt? Nope. Not unless you induce rod wear to the rifling. Is it necessary? Nope, again. It is an Urban Legend of sorts, easily traceable to the gunsmith who originated it. Google it.

I love reading about custom barrel makers who fit a hand lapped barrel and then tell the purchaser to "run in' his new rifle. Were it me, I'd ask why it was necessary! ~Muir

I too usually use SST 150s in my 308, but was given half a dozen of these Whitetails. On checking POI, it was virtually the same. I shot 3 roe bucks this weekend with them and it seems a lot less messy than the 308. 2 touched a shoulder and have the usually SP damage (bruising and jelly) but if that had been SST it would have been a lot worse I suspect.

Now I just need to track some more down!

A friend of mine use the whitetail 308 rounds, I rate them having seen first hand with the beasts he has shot with me, accurate and next to no meat damage and no brusing.

If I shot 308 I would use them without hesitation, you will see a big difference in reduction of meat damage compared to the SST!

I have a few friends who use them and they all like them . They group well in their rifles and perform on game , what more do you need from factory ammo ? I reload but I may try out a few boxes out of curiosity . I have an old Remington 760 jerkomatic in 30/06 that I like carrying in the thick stuff , it may get a work out with the hornady ammo . I like to have a back up rifle that's zeroed with factory ammo just in case , or as a lender . You wouldn't think so , but the Remington pumps will shoot surprisingly well .

AB

I'm going to buck the trend here, although they were in .243. i bought two boxes of the american whitetail 100grn and ended up shooting them into the hill as they were bloody awful through my sako 75. but i do think this rifle prefers a lighter bullet.

Not surprised to hear of good terminal performance, its an Interlock bullet. I've loaded and shot hundreds upon hundreds of them as component bullets in 3 different calibres without incident. Very good quality.

Back