Thread: Air rifle sales

Air rifle sales

Following the death of a local lad in my daughters year at school following a tragic air rifle accident, I was discussing the law with a police mate of mine. He pointed out something that I had no idea about and I doubt many others have either! The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 made some changes to how air weapons may be sold. It would appear that private sales of air rifles between individuals where neither is a registered dealer is illegal!
    See section 31 & 32 here:

'By way of trade or business' is your key phrase
    this means private individuals selling/buying for personal use us not affected. It does however cover dodgy boot sale traders retailing chinese fence post material for the local neds...

The changes in the law relating to air rifles that you mention were a consequence of several fatal "accidents" including two local to me that I can recall. As urx mentions the private sale of air rifles was unaffected "except by way of trade or business". That and also the requirement to keep air rifles/pistols secured if there are children(under 18) regularly in the house did not get a great deal of publicity when it became law.

Incidentally have you noticed air rifles and pistols on sale in antique/junk shops also. I wonder how many of those traders have RFDs?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.