fixed mag scope

bobby18

I,ve always had variable mag scopes ,thinking now of getting a fixed mag just to keep it simple it will be going on a 223 for foxing,anybody gone from variable to fixed mag and regretted it.Got variables on my other rifles somtimes its just a pain with parallax and focusing .Might be on the lookout for a s/b 8x56 as from what i see that,s what everybody recommends.

Afternoon Bobby,

Did you always leave your variable on one setting? If so then you'll have no regrets. From my point of view, I like variable scopes. My .308 has a Leupold 4.5-14 which I frequently have down at 4.5 when stalking on foot in woodland, 8ish stalking through fields and when I'm in a high seat it's on 12-14. I could get away with a fixed but I like variable.

Similarly my .22 has a 2.5-10 which I use the range 2.5 and 10 depending if I'm on foot freehand or lamping out of a truck. .22-250 is 4-16 I rarely use 4 but use 8-16 depending if I'm walking with sticks or off a bipod prone. TBH I should have got the 6-24. All have side parallax except the 2.5-10 which is fixed. I always have binos for spotting.

No reason if your .223 is a pure foxing rig day/lamp not to go fixed but you will lack adaptability.

Best,

J

My foxing rig is a CZ527 in .222 with Pecar Champion 8x45 for past ten years. Does it all without the fiddly bits and that rig will always shoot better than the clown behind it ever could ...

nope, shifted my variables to fixed for lamping
gone up in mag slowly from 6x, to 7x and then 8x!

eyesight is not what it used to be!

I,ve always had variable mag scopes ,thinking now of getting a fixed mag just to keep it simple it will be going on a 223 for foxing,anybody gone from variable to fixed mag and regretted it.Got variables on my other rifles somtimes its just a pain with parallax and focusing .Might be on the lookout for a s/b 8x56 as from what i see that,s what everybody recommends.
Went from variable on my 30-06 3 years ago and never regretted it. Done Stags, most African plains game , walking stalking Roe and Muntjac. Love it.6x42 Swarowski
Tusker

I have an 8x56 Swarovski on my 308. I enjoy using it and it does everything I need. I have a variable on my 223 but am looking for a quality 10x40 with mil dots. It's not every ones choice but I like a fixed mag & for me it works

10x40 Mil Dot scope: look at the Bushnell with exposed tactical knobs. It is assigned an NSN code as approved for purchase by the U.S. Military. It is a 1 inch tube and lighter than some of the others ( Super Sniper 10x40 and Unertl). Street price in the USA is about $200.

I am currently looking at one in my hand that I have decided to sell for £120 posted - would you like some pics? Pm me and I'll send some through.

Leupold MK4 M1 10x40 if you can get one, excellent scopes really regret parting with mine. Never a hint of zero shift and built like a tank.

I have a Bushnell elite 10x40 on top of my .223 (SM Pro Hunter). For the money its a great bit of kit. My only reservation is the mix of mil dot ret and moa dials. I believe mil/mil version is available and if I was buying one now thats what I would go for.

I've never been a variable fan just another thing to go wrong
i have meopta 7x50 with the rangefinder reticle , I have one on each of my rifles makes everything simple. Give them a look, I am really impressed with them and they went daft money , I've been using the one on my 6.5 swede for 8 years and it's not shifted off zero. Mint ♠️

Back