23 27.06%
  • Live and work in town

31 36.47%
  • Live in town but work in countryside

3 3.53%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Townies actively participate in "Rural Sports"

How many Townies actively participate in "Rural Sports"

By their very nature field sports - shooting, stalking, fishing etc have to be carried out in the field - ie rural areas.

Some of the media portrays fields sports as the sole preserve of country folk and is just a means of wildlife management.

I would be very interested to know how many of us, whilst we would all love to be living and working in the countryside, actually earn our livings in a more urban occupation and either live in towns / urban areas or if we do live in the country, end up commuting into towns for work.

This would be a good question for the BASC - how much of your membership lives in urban areas.

Myself - started off in Agriculture, from a farming background but live and work in a city and travel out of the city for stalking, fishing , shooting etc.

Live in a Hamlet and travel to "the big smoke" for work. Which is rural estate management...

Not much use, kinda stereotypical stalker I imagine.

"Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

I'd be in jail if I tried to enjoy my sport where I live and work - Central London.

That said the pigeon shooting would be good as would flighting Ring Necked Parakeets, I never case to be surprised at how fast and high they fly. There are plenty of foxes and you wouldn't need a lamp, some dog food in the garden for a night or two generally suffices and a moderated .22 from a bedroom window is quiet and the downward elevation would provide a safe bask stop - not that I have ever given much thought to it!! They come running to even the worst squeak and are so tame I think they'd stand if you missed with the first shot!!

I live in a village that has slowly been encroached upon by the city suburbs, I used to work mainly for agricultural clients & some civils on brown field sites, I can still walk to my nearest permission if I had to.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I live in a very small village and commute into London. Work in property development, specifically (and ironically) on large scale urban regeneration projects on brownfield sites within London.

Did try living in London for a couple of years, but didn't suit me.

Live and work in middle of nowhere...and wouldn't have it any other way!

Live and occasionally work in the middle of London, but did make sure I was no more than a a few minutes from the M4.

Live on the family farm, most of the farm has been in the family almost 200 years, the bit I live on was bought as recently as 1947.

Actually work on-line from home now. The head office is in Dublin, about a 90 minute commute which I only do once a month or so. I farmed a lot when I was younger/before I got married. Haven't done much at all over the past 10 years, but I am starting to get back into it. Was actually out looking at an Angus bull the other day with the view of buying it.... I am losing my mind.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

That reminds me, how are Sausage and Bacon doing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post

That reminds me, how are Sausage and Bacon doing these days?
    They have been in the freezer for a month.

Let's say I had a dispute with the butcher, I got back rather less meat than he received unless I can't count carcass weights.

Replacements are coming in a few weeks when they get a bit to big for the local local petting farm....

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......