Average running Speed of Deer and Boar. (working out holds, millrads)

HowaU

Hi All,

Trying to put together shooting card that will have the average speed of these beasts, so that I can work out the holds.

I treid google some how a 40-60 miles per hour aint cutting it. Iknow a average speed of a man is walking is roughly 4kph.

Not planning to take pott shots at running beasts, and possibly injuring.

Trying to estabish the theory.

Info on speeds of the running targets shoots will be great.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the info,

anybody know the speed of the running deer & boar ranges, particular Bisley?

thats a great photo!

I believe that's a screenshot from Wild Boar Fever 6. There are a few different animated sequences in it like that.

There's a also one somewhere on YouTube that gives similar information for a few different calibres on the Running Boar range - can't find it at the mo but if IIRC it came from one of the German ammunition manufacturers (RWS?).

I have found that:
Walking target at around 4kph is the trailing mildot in the appropriate scope and works out to about 600 metres for 308 zeroed at 200 metres. Trailing mildot is the one on the horizontal axis nearest to the cross hairs adjusted for the direction of movement. This allows you to track holding the mildot on the point of aim. Adjust POA for targets not moving straight across your position. In reality most non mechanical targets do not move at steady speeds so sometimes ambushing may be a more appropriate option or a combination of both methods.
Some running deer shooters at BSRC zero for an eye hold which allows for easier tracking. Out of interest, practice with instantaneous feedback of the shot seems the most effective method of training to hit moving targets as the brain seems to assimilate the required adjustment quite quickly.
For targets at Unknown range, Unknown speed and angle of movement tracking the leading edge provides a better first round hit probability. I concur with the boar picture!

Jagdmatch, great post very indepth theory. Definitely food for taught. Still seems that if you have the range time or area to practise is way more accurate than theory alone. Muscle memory and also eye on to the sight picture memory. A good study of ones reticule will be valuable.
The theory will deffo get us in the ball park.

Great stuff
thanks

yes mty and I am there on the 14th :-| :rofl:
just an interclub bash up that we never win ?? only thing that's the same is the targets as its run to a dif format :fib:well some parts are ??
I have promised myself ill forget all the practice for our shoot ;)
see you there bud

Haha that obvious, Yep sure am.

You going down Paulo'?

The 100m running target @ Bisley is the deer - centrefire only
The 50m running target is the boar - rimfire only

For the deer most aim at the leading edge of the chest
For the boar keep swinging and aim at it's eye,
You can look at the screen and get instant feedback of how much you missed by :doh:

The 100m running target @ Bisley is the deer - centrefire only
The 50m running target is the boar - rimfire only

You can look at the screen and get instant feedback of how much you missed by :doh:

Someone rather uncharitably suggested I'd used a shotgun for both disciplines! :oops:

Back