Different ways to get the Internet??

countrryboy

Alright folks

Just wondering is there any different ways to get the internet??

Moving house fairly shortly and wondering if any other ways to get online, no phone line there at present and the ammount they charge for line rental now esp as i hardly ever use the house phone. Not sure if even worth putting 1 in.
House is out in the sticks so even broadband speed is really slooooowwwww, quite a good phone signal althou not good enough for internet.

I know at 1 point years ago u could use a dongle thingy, can u get it throu a satelite dish? ie sky but i not planning on puting in sky well not for tv anyway.

Not on the internet that much really but just wondered wot my options are if any.

Cheers

Only satellite one I know of is tooway satellite broadband

Worth a look for local provider , we have one now, unsure how it works but it's from a mast & line of sight but I'm hearing of folks more than 15 miles from transmitter getting great service & no more need for BT line rental as they do summit with your number also .
It's not your area but might get idea here

http://www.marykirk.com

Yep, tooway satellite. I had it when I lived in a place without broadband, I think our supplier was called europasat. Bit more expensive than broadband especially the purchase and installation of the dish, but you can install it yourself, its quite easy to do and they provide clear instructions for setting it up.
There are different price plans with varying levels of data usage, if you want a large data allowance and download lots of stuff or stream videos etc it'll cost a bit. Its not as fast as broadband and if you go over the monthly data allowance they restrict you somehow and its mega slow unless you pay for more.

I don't really download much.

I phoned BT and i think i'm getting 45-50 things? where i am now but it will go down to 5 out in sticks so were going to reduce my broadband price as its slower than wot i'm paying for. As u can see not that clued up on this sort of thing
I'm only on a cheap tarrif the now, but by the time u add ur line rental on top it's quite a lot of cash for the ammount i use it.

The problem i may have is tree's and the way it sits on hill side, had tv boys out yest to look at putting an ariel up and they were not very hopeful as they know the area and esp when seen site, but luckily managed to get quite a good signal throu a gap in the trees. But they did say satelites can be hard to get working up there too

I will have a look at tooway, never een heard of them before.

Are dongles a thing of the past now? Mind my mate had 1 but that was years ago before broadband was really a big thing.

Just had a quick look not cheap, wot it calls basic use is 10GB for £30 and normal 25GB for £45 a month at 22GB/S.

I've no real idea if that is a lot or not.

Sorry for a basic/newby question, but wot does a download actually mean? Is it only when u actually save something on ur computer/disc or just watching a clip on u tube count?
If u starterd watching something on I player for example say its 30mins long, if u turn it off after 5 mins do u lose 5mins worth of data or the whole 30mins?

I live out in the forest and had a dongle for a few years. Then a group was formed to install a fiber optic a net. As we considered a sparsley populated area the goverment gave a good grant towards instalation. I paid about £1200 towards the installation and get Broad band, TV and phone for about £25 a month fixed price for 5 years. So i sit here deep in the forest with high speed broad band.
2 years on they are just starting to install a fiber optic net in the town ten miles away.

I phoned BT and i think i'm getting 45-50 things? where i am now but it will go down to 5 out in sticks so were going to reduce my broadband price as its slower than wot i'm paying for.

Luxury!

That is good news.

Our broadband averages just over 4 things (Mbps) and we pay extra for the outreach. There are no LLU (independent hardware connections in the local exchange) so there are none of the cheap deals available in town. All the providers buy from BT wholesale and sell on. We are with O2.

We are a mile and a half from the exchange. 4Mbps is okay it will mostly keep up with the BBC iPlayer streaming now they have improved the delivery protocol. Though I generally download the HD version ahead of when we want to watch and play it from the hard drive.

Gigaclear are an independent optical fibre network provider who have just done a survey in some local villages, signing up people interested in Optical. They achieved critical mass (30%) in a couple of them and are currently installing the network. The commitment is their £50 a month package for a year. They are signing up in the village our exchange is in...but they are not coming out to the three households along our lane. You might see if they are in your new area.

Alan

Typically a 30 minute TV programme in standard definition (default and all you need for viewing on a regular TV) is about 320MB in size. On that basis a monthly download limit of 10GB would let you stream over 15 hours of TV a month.

Watching or looking at anything on your TV/computer that is coming from the internet will go against your download limit. Whether you save it or not irrelevant. If you start watching a 30 minute programme on iPlayer it will try to download it as quickly as it can over the connection you have. It's called buffering and avoids the programme pausing while you watch if there's an interruption in the connection. On iPlayer though you can save the programme locally i.e. on your computer once it's downloaded and watch it later.

Dongles are still available but they just hook your computer into the mobile phone network (3g or 4g) so if you already know that's not sufficient for internet use then a dongle won't be any use.

Hope that helps your understanding a bit!

Cheers,

Andy

Just had a quick look not cheap, wot it calls basic use is 10GB for £30 and normal 25GB for £45 a month at 22GB/S.

I've no real idea if that is a lot or not.

Sorry for a basic/newby question, but wot does a download actually mean? Is it only when u actually save something on ur computer/disc or just watching a clip on u tube count?
If u starterd watching something on I player for example say its 30mins long, if u turn it off after 5 mins do u lose 5mins worth of data or the whole 30mins?

As per sauer's post ask around if there is any wireless broadband in the area. If they do and you are in a suitable location the wireless company can hook you up by putting an antenna onto your house and linking you back to the nearest repeater point which is often another house in the area with the same wireless provider.

Cheers folks.

As u can tell not really clued up on all this stuff, posting on here is about my limit and photos are beyond it :p

I will ask about for some wireless see wot the craic is. The lass up the road is a sort of writter/jornolist so i'll ask how she doe it.

Jagare i take it with ur fibre optic u will have to lay a cable all the way back to the main exchange?
Laid a load of fibre optic a few years ago althou i think they mainly go straight throu the region and ur lucky if ur near 1.

After too many problems with overhead lines knocking our broadband down to dial up speed, having to talk to unhelpful Indians in call centres etc. we did away with the antique copper cable and got satellite broadband instead, including 30 mbps download speed and phone, costs work out about the same but no 3 week waits any more for lines to be fixed.

atb Tim

Gigaclear are an independent optical fibre network provider who have just done a survey in some local villages, signing up people interested in Optical. They achieved critical mass (30%) in a couple of them and are currently installing the network. The commitment is their £50 a month package for a year. They are signing up in the village our exchange is in...but they are not coming out to the three households along our lane. You might see if they are in your new area.

Alan

Gigaclear are, almost as we speak, digging up holes outside my house! They are putting optical fibre into our village and two others nearby. I have ordered their 200 Mbps package so that, if nothing else, I can get away from BT.

I work from home several days a week and need bandwidth for conference calls, webcasts, email, etc. I was paying BT £45 a month for an "unlimited faster broadband" service that varied between 12 Mbps on a good day/hour/second and 1 or 2 Mbps or less on a bad one. The last three months I have been paying £150, £140 and £70 a month as the broadband has been that slow that I had to go back to using a landline. Just two weeks ago the BT engineer came and tried to fix things. He got 19Mbps direct from the line, but that has again deteriorated. Personally I am convinced that they degrade the service further up the line.

It it will be interesting to find out how Gigaclear do, but they cannot be any worse than BT.

My contract with BT finishes in couple of months, a more useless bunch of ar5es I've never met ( apart from yodel)

I'm going to speak to the wireless mob I posted about initially see if I'm viable, they can also do something with landline number & I can do away with BT line rental altogether .....if it wasn't for internet I would have got rid of them years ago

Paul

Cheers folks.

As u can tell not really clued up on all this stuff, posting on here is about my limit and photos are beyond it :p

I will ask about for some wireless see wot the craic is. The lass up the road is a sort of writter/jornolist so i'll ask how she doe it.

Jagare i take it with ur fibre optic u will have to lay a cable all the way back to the main exchange?
Laid a load of fibre optic a few years ago althou i think they mainly go straight throu the region and ur lucky if ur near 1.

Like You i know nothing about how these things work. They laid the fiber optic cable underground and under water if they came to a lake ( we have quite a few lakes) 2 large tracked diggers laid the cable through the forest from my neighbours place about 3 km away another neighbour has a booster station mounted in his barn. I could have up to 1000 giga thingies speed if i wanted it.
Out in the sticks where i live and all other rural place in Sweden will be without a land line in the future if they don't have fiber optic as the old copper net will not be repaired in the future if it go's wrong. I've noticed a couple of places where the old telephone poles are coming down.

Gigaclear are, almost as we speak, digging up holes outside my house! They are putting optical fibre into our village and two others nearby. I have ordered their 200 Mbps package so that, if nothing else, I can get away from BT.

I work from home several days a week and need bandwidth for conference calls, webcasts, email, etc. I was paying BT £45 a month for an "unlimited faster broadband" service that varied between 12 Mbps on a good day/hour/second and 1 or 2 Mbps or less on a bad one. The last three months I have been paying £150, £140 and £70 a month as the broadband has been that slow that I had to go back to using a landline. Just two weeks ago the BT engineer came and tried to fix things. He got 19Mbps direct from the line, but that has again deteriorated. Personally I am convinced that they degrade the service further up the line.

It it will be interesting to find out how Gigaclear do, but they cannot be any worse than BT.

We've had Gigaclear in the village since early 2014, I have the 100Mbps package & pay £45 (£37 in reality as I get the VAT back from my business) it's a good reliable service

Back