bds subs

BDS sub 53 quid

• Total voters

bambislayer

Just got a renewal letter in from BDS, 53quid!!!!

Maybe I'm just a tight fisted Scot, but is this not just a bit steep?

I am a member of various orgs and like to give my support, but I'm really thinking of doing a membership cull.

Just done a quick tally 256quid pa on subs, not counting pheasant syndicate, wildfowling club etc!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't want this to turn into who's the best org or is BDS any good thread:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well what did you expect :D It is a charity :D
They do put out a very good magazine periodically, all glossy and full of good stuff (sometimes):)

Hi Bambislayer,
I do not think you are just being a tight fisted Scot, I used to be a member of the BDS, then joint membership with my wife in the CA + BASC. Just belong to BASC now. Saw the light, I think we are shall we say spoilt for choice and they are all after our wanger.

John.

Pulled out f basc for the same reason. Support is one thing but it is like giving for charity, The add says just two pounds a month. No it is not. It is another two pounds a month. Soon you do a tally and you find it is like BS 250+ per year. It is only 2 per month if you give to no-one else,
Jim

Agreed. I used to pay for CA, BDS and BASC. Still pay for BDS and BASC.

I meant to cancel the BDS last year as apart from a DSC level 1 many years ago.. I've had no benefit from them apart from the periodic magazine.

However if I'd attended more shooting days or regionaly held events I may feel differently.

But the cost is now for me like many becoming prohibitive to support more then one. I just need to cancel the direct debit now before I get caught for another year!

For me I've had far better support and assistance from BASC over the years and feel they still offer better value for money. (I know some will disagree)

Robbo25

BDS and BASC for me. I think BASC provides the best representation for shooters across the uk. I joined BDS last year, a while after I got into deer stalking and I think you get out of these things what you put in. I've attended a couple of their courses and found them to be very good, it depends how active the regional office is and what interest it holds for you. I think the magazine is good and some of the research they do is excellent, although some seems to be done, just to research for the sake of research!!

Each to their own.

BDS £53!! don't include insurance like BASC,legal advice,etc,etc, but you do get what?....4 magazines per year???

Steyr,

BDS is a Charity that supports Deer Welfare. It is not an organisation for Deer Stalkers, per se.

As with all charities, you give, not take. It spends on research, the information produced, that therefore benefits Deer Management. I read and learn from what they do, even call them at times to explain. Get called back, once the relevant third party gets involved.

I give to them because I value deer, simples....

Stan

As already said BDS is not a stalking/shooting organisation but a charity devoted to deer research and welfare. Theyre not there to help us per say so can not be compared to BASC, SACS etc . What I will say is the magazine although only 4 x a year is 4 x as interesting as the BASC comic and I read it from cover to cover have learnt alot from it.
I subscribe to BASC and BDS thats not to say it shouldn't be a little cheaper!

BDS is a charity and a charity that takes massive amounts of money for the the top brass i will save my money for Cancer Research and give my £30 to SACS for my shooting needs that insurance and fighting the fight.

BDS is a charity and a charity that takes massive amounts of money for the the top brass i will save my money for Cancer Research and give my £30 to SACS for my shooting needs that insurance and fighting the fight.

The majorities of charities work on the principle of give what you can afford. The poll is certainly reflecting that it is to expensive for what people feel they get and the BDS should take heed of this. If membership costs were to be kept to a reasonable level I am sure they would attract a larger membership thus increasing revenue from fundraising which they already attempt to do from existing members.
We are yet to realise what is in store for us from Mr Camerons budget but I think a lot of people will begin to re-prioritise and reflect on what they consider to be value, indeed it looks like they already are.

John.

Spent the night sorting out memberships.

SGA - still full member

All the rest cancelled, although I have written and explained why, and have given a donation to BDS, I like the BDS and have always enjoyed the days out and the magazine but you have to draw the line.

ps

Found I was still a member of the Country Sports Workers Union, NGO, BASC, SACS, CA, , Scottish Clay Target Assoc., CPSA.

Back