Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500 vs Sako 75 weight

Howa 1500 vs Sako 75 weight

I currently have a Howa 1500 in .243 coupled with a T8 mod and I find it a very heavy set up especially when stalking on foot. After about an hour I get serious shoulder achage!

I recently carried a friends Sako 75 for a short distance and found the weight difference noticeable. I forget what mod he had on it now but even with a bi-pod which I do not have on my Howa it seemed so much lighter.

I like the Skao 75 stainless and am thinking of getting rid of my Howa and T8 and getting a lighter set up.

Does anyone have any views on the Sako 75 weight compared to the Howa 1500?

Also can anyone recommend a recent light weigh mod?

both companies make an enormous amount of different models so a bit more info may help ?

however , saying that it would seem you are struggling with the weight of your current set up so you should look to a lighter profile barrel with a lighter stock plus short action if your not already , add to that with a macc tech moderator and you should notice a difference ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I've a Sako 75 Hunter & I have to say I find it heavy. It's 10.5 lbs as illustrated below & 12 lbs with a Jet-z compact moderator on. I almost never use the moderator as it turns it into a complete pig & I would normally have a 6x42 on it.

I was stalking last night with someone who was using open-sighted Mauser; now that was a handy rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stonedge 150701.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	779.4 KB 
ID:	70056

Due to arthritis I needed to reduce weight. I went to a Sako 75 Finnlight, A-Tech Maxim moderator and a Swarovski 3-10x42. It is a very light and handy set up.
    I reduced the weight by over a kilogramme, which was very favourably noticeable.
    Also consider the Tikka T3 Lite.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

I learnt to stalk using a Steyr UltraLight, which was a very nice rifle - and extremely light!

There's never really much difference in the sporting rifle weights - I suffer with a bad shoulder, but find the 7lb mark is the magical figure to try and stick to.

The Sako 85 is noticeably lighter than the 75, and they do a carbon fibre stock version too.

I have both a Howa and both a 75 and 85 sako - the real difference is in the bits you stick on them...

DPT make a reasonable quality but very lightweight moderator, I then put a light 6x42 1" tube scope, a carbon fibre Spartan bipod on, and I find I can carry any of my rifles all day with little issue.

If I were you I'd just change my moderator and take the bipod off if you use one - replace it with a lightweight quick-detach version.

Nothing light weight about my sako 75 all the finesse of a sedge hammer. A two shouldered sling for carrying makes a big difference

County Durham
    Blog Entries
    Only thing I'd add before you splash out on something new would be to try a different style of sling, or carry it slung over your head. It may the way you are carrying it that is giving you jip, not necessarily the rifle itself.

My Sako 75 in 308 is 6 5/8 Lb. I carry it all day without any problems

Expect more recoil when you reduce weight. Maybe carry it barrel down and see if that helps? Nothing wrong with the weight of a 75 though
    Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)