Skull Boiling Time

Dovebob

I've got a Roe Buck skull that I want to boil and clean. Its currently soaking in brine. I was told that this draws the blood out and helps with the boiling.

I am going to boil it this weekend and wondered how long I should give it. I had thought that I'd just stick it in and let it boil all afternoon but it looks like that might soften the bone.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how long to leave it in.

Cheers,

Bob

I skin mine, leave them in cold water and when ready boil for 20-25 mins.

If you want detailed steps on how to do it then andystalker posted a very good you tube thing. Look under general disscussion.

I skin mine, leave them in cold water and when ready boil for 20-25 mins.

If you want detailed steps on how to do it then andystalker posted a very good you tube thing. Look under general disscussion.

I would agree with this. Obviously larger species can stand being boiled for longer. I also did a step by step write up that is on here somewhere. The boiling time is always a compremise, the longer you boil the easier it is to clean but the weaker the skull will be. JC

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated.

I've just spotted Andy Stalkers Utube guide and will look for the step by step.

Thanks for your help.

Just remember, the older the buck the more boiling it will require.Older bucks normally need at least 40 mins if a full skull, however some done even get near to being done after a hour!!!

I do mine for one hour and thats it scrape and bleach ,The bleach is 40 vol peroxide i leave that on for 4 -6 hours and rinse of throughly

What i do guys is boil a roe head skined for 20 mins then when the meat is getting soft take it out .go to the garden get the power washer out blast all the meat brains ect out in 3-5 mins clean skull.

cheers andy

Back