Oldish Ford Ranger

SimpleSimon

Hi folks,
I've seen a few used Rangers around with good service history anywhere between 80 and 150k miles, year 2001/2/3 for £1500-2500. This is out of budget for now, but I'd be interested to know what they're like. Hilux and L200 seem to command a premium price even at that age and Isuzu are all too new. Navaras of that generation have a terrible reliability reputation involving blown up engines!
So, older well looked after rangers, worth buying or not?

For what it's worth, I had a navara of that generation for 6 years and it never missed a beat. I think that the engine issues that they had would have already happened by now, so I wouldn't discount them. Was awesome off road as well. IMO, they are a bit more refined than the ford. If you want the ford though, also look at the Mazda as they are the same truck essentially, but the Mazda is a little cheaper.

I have a 2000 double cab for a shooting truch thats done 120k its a local car with loads of history and remember these are actually Mazdas - its generally agreed aound these parts byt hose in the know (local mechanics and ag engineers) that these are the best of this type of vehicle bar the Hi Lux - really pleased with mine but thn i only do 1000/1500 miles in it a year

I've got a 2005 Ranger with 163,000 on the clock and the engine is still like new! It's an ex Welsh Police vehicle which was serviced regularly and came without a tow bar. The 2.5 Mazda engines are built to last. A lot of double cabs seem to have endless problems with engines etc, but the Rangers and Hilux seem to go on to a good age. The Hilux hold ridiculous money though after Clarkson tried to kill one and couldn't! They are also very sought after for export.
MS

Make sure cooling system is working properly, the Mazda 12 valve engines were prone to cracking cylinder heads. Not a disaster however, replacement cylinder heads fairly cheap. A pla of mine recently bought one about that age , '52 plate, and it required a new head, still worked out at well under £2k.

Co1, you make a fair point about the Nissan, I see plenty on the road clearly not broken, but I think I'd be paranoid all the same. I was recently offered one for £400 (that's right, four hundred!) which tempted me purely on cheapness, but I need more than just a workhorse.

The rest of you are quite encouraging, sounds good

I've got a 2001 xlt which I paid £2k for 18 months ago with 120k (now on 145k) and its been brilliant. A real work horse truck which has been so useful on our small holding, for shooting and for getting to work in the winter months. I'm not bothered about chucking stuff in it or being precious over it. Other than an alternator and clutch slave cylinder its been 100% reliable and a big part of the appeal for me is its mechanical simplicity. Go for it!

I run a 2006 ranger and love it it's has covered 133,000 with no issues thus far I will echo the cooling system warning just ensure its in good service I have blanked off the egr valve and also have a de-cat pipe fitted both of which I think has made it run sweeter and maybe just slightly easier to fuel it runs and it pulls well look after it and it will last the transmission and running gear are tough and madza wlt is hard to beat great truck.

Co1, you make a fair point about the Nissan, I see plenty on the road clearly not broken, but I think I'd be paranoid all the same. I was recently offered one for £400 (that's right, four hundred!) which tempted me purely on cheapness, but I need more than just a workhorse.

The rest of you are quite encouraging, sounds good

If you want a Navara get an early one (98 - 01) they had the old bullet proof 2.5 T/D engine from 01 onwards they had the YD engine which all had problems some were fixed some were not the ones that were not will go bang at some time regardless of mileage or service history a look at the broken ones on ebay will tell you the story, finding an early good condition Navara is another matter...!

The problem with the navaras is the timing chain ''basically it either slips or snaps which both bugger the job'' however ''and I realise this is not in the OP budget'' places do do a conversion chain kit to rectify this problem and then the engine if regularly serviced will do many faultless miles
Other very minor issues with them are rear axle breather and some of the engine hoses can be uffy
Regards
Jimmy

I sold my last ranger with 194,000 on it and my mate is still running it with no Problems. My present one is 2005 with 110,000 on it I bought it with a knackered fuel pump, got a s/hand pump fitted and no problem at all.
Steve

Back