Cheshire Firearms Again

sikadog

A friend of mine had the local firearms check yesterday, he has a 5 shot shotgun on his ticket he also has a rimfire and a 222 as he is thinking about taking up stalking, he bought a days stalking in an auction. So he asked the firearms guy what was the chance of getting a 243 for deer stalking put on his ticket. The answer was NO unless you have done your DSC1. When are these people going to stop bending the rules? Sikadog.

He made the mistake of asking `what the chance was` .
That is negative thinking and a direct application showing proof of genuine need would have been better.
Get him to write and ask for the refusal reason in writing , the fact he has other firearms proves he is a fit person in their eyes.

HWH.

Stag has the right of it: always in writing!

I think I'd be inclined to send in the completed variation application (rifle, mod, 200/250rounds) and cheque, with a letter emphasising previous c/f experience, knowledge of safety and relative ballistics of .222 and calibre applied for, and of the good reason (rather than 'genuine need') to possess, viz.
proof of intended stalk, the desire to familiarise one's-self with the rifle, to practice with it, and so on in order to ensure sportsmanlike competence when the time comes to take deer with it.

Depending on the deer to be stalked, a bigger calibre might actually be more useful; there might actually be a good reason to own a .308, rather than smaller cal.

Thinking about it, maybe that's why the FEO dismissed .243 out of hand;)

We have started putting in for something that we wont get (eg. .338) as well as what I want (.22-250) becuase they like to take something away from you, so make it easy for them... and you never know, you might just end up with a .338LM ;)

Sam

We have started putting in for something that we wont get....

There's a well known saying Sam, "stick to your guns" quite relevant don't you think?
Asking for something suggests that you want it, but providing a 'good reason' for need will get you what you want ;)

The difference between want, need and good reason is always a difficult one. Lets be honest, a recreational stalker only 'needs' one deer rifle, a professional only 'needs' two and then only because he may make a bad shot in the evening and need to use a different rifle the next morning before he can check the first. Having said this, and before you all shoot me down, this is like saying you only 'need' one golf bat to play a round of golf or one fishing rod to cover all UK fishing. We all know its not realistic but then we are not the ones sitting at the desks making up the rules as we go along. Make no mistake about it, the Police agenda is to reduce the ammount of firearms in civilian hands, you won't see this written down anywhere but I was told it by the Sussex Firearms manager several years ago and I can't imagine that the attitude has changed much since then. If we ask for stupid things then we only have ourselves to blame when we don't get them and, in the process, just make the pen pushers think we are just a bunch of chancers. Out of interest, what is your need/good reason for the .338 Lap Mag Sam?
JC

A little more from my club's pages,
Do you live in Cheshire?

(26/7/10) We've heard that Cheshire Constabulary have reduced the number of their Firearms Enquiry Officers by two; if that's true, then we envisage a reduction in the quality of service firearm and shotgun certificate holders in Cheshire can expect. again, thanks to Mike.

A little more from my club's pages,
Do you live in Cheshire?

(26/7/10) We've heard that Cheshire Constabulary have reduced the number of their Firearms Enquiry Officers by two; if that's true, then we envisage a reduction in the quality of service firearm and shotgun certificate holders in Cheshire can expect. again, thanks to Mike.

Is it possible to get any worse?

Someone I was working with has a friend who is an FEO and he told this guy recently in that area they have been asked to take a pay cut this year. Lets face it, it is to be expected as it is a public service and we know what Mr Cameron has in mind for this area. Hang onto your hats get some private health insurance and lets hope there will be something left of the services in the end.

Back