Working Cocker Books?

Rasputin

Iv seen a few online. One mentions here in the search was by Janet Menzies. Any others I should have a look at? Obviously YouTube is great as well.

Thanks

Iv seen a few online. One mentions here in the search was by Janet Menzies. Any others I should have a look at? Obviously YouTube is great as well.

Thanks

With my next pup I will not make the mistake of taking him out to early, having said that the one I have know works far beyond what I ever expected.
His C/V of species retrieves...

Pheasant
Partridge
Woodcock
Pigeon
Rabbit
Hare

Mallard
Widgeon
Teal
Pintail
Potchard
Tufted
Common Snipe
Shoveler
Greylag
Canada

No Deer just Dear to me....

Joe Irvine,s book I found easy to read,

Tim.243

I shouldn't bother with the one by Janet Menzies. She's no expert but simply a writer who likes cockers!

Joe Irvings books are quite good

Many of the better trainers are now releasing dvd's rather than writing books, not actually seen Davy lissets but usually highly reccommended and i've trained/puck up with him so know just how good he is and a top bloke too. Think opie and i'm sure most of the other top boy will have dvd's out too.

While books/dvd's are great u cannae beat either joining a decent group training class (althou the great Ian Openshaw recently said in an interview its 1 of the worst things u can do, but think he's talking about lots off very poor trainers running groups) with decent instructors (althou if ur a novice u'll still learn even with poorer trainers) or some 1-1 lessons of a decent trainer.

Far better in flesh as trainer can alter it to suit u and ur dog, but important to get a decent 1 u get on with

With my next pup I will not make the mistake of taking him out to early, having said that the one I have know works far beyond what I ever expected.
His C/V of species retrieves...

Pheasant
Partridge
Woodcock
Pigeon
Rabbit
Hare

Mallard
Widgeon
Teal
Pintail
Potchard
Tufted
Common Snipe
Shoveler
Greylag
Canada

No Deer just Dear to me....

Joe Irvine,s book I found easy to read,

Tim.243

Sounds like a good un to me. Bizarrely he's coming from a breeder named Tim and I'm also a Tim. Funny that.

Thanks to all who suggested. Will scour youtube for some as well. Will be my first proper working dog. So will report back when he's home.

Just be careful scanning u tube (or even listening to advice on internet from folk like me;)) lot off wannae be gun dog trainers out there so loads of bad advice floating about as well as loads of good advice, fine if u can sort it all out.

When i got involved in local gundog club really helped me even thou had dogs for years before that, and the 1st group training day we had with davy lisset really opened my eyes to all the mistakes i had made previously. A really good trainer is worth ot ever they charge

Really worth investing in some lessons from a decent trainer as u'll have ur dog for next 10+ years either adding to ur enjoyment or being a PITA, and once u have the knowledge reallly not hard to get ur dog to a basic working level when ur shown the easy ways

Thanks

Hello Rasputin,

I have trained numerous cockers, made up one FTCH and bred the most famous cocker of them all FTCH Danderw Druid. If you want the right advice give me a PM.

Good luck

Tony

Hello Rasputin,

I have trained numerous cockers, made up one FTCH and bred the most famous cocker of them all FTCH Danderw Druid. If you want the right advice give me a PM.

Good luck

Tony

DD is in one line of my Spaniel....

From this.....
004_zps67f9f47c.jpg

To this....
007_zpsnfpuwx1l.jpg

With a bit of that lol
006_zps1jy39wfv.jpg

Tim.243

+1 for Joe Irvings books. Based around training Springers buy the methods if chosen to follow would be the same for a cocker.

Back