Decent gunsmith Nr Bath/Chippenham

J111

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a problem with my 243, well to be more precise I think it's always shot fairly erratically but good enough for deer stalking at reasonable ranges. Now that I've got a 30-06 that is super consistent and accurate, I can assume it wasn't me being a crap shooter and so want to get the accuracy issue addressed with the 243. Basically I'm starting to need this rifle for foxing and I need a 250m capable fox gun and it's not accurate enough for that at the moment.

I've recently noticed a tiny chip on the crown, which may be contributing, but also it's pretty old and I have a suspicion the barrel maybe worn out. I pillar bedded the action a couple of years ago which massively improved and I'm confident it's a good. Oh it's a Musgrave mauser 98 action.

Is there a decent gunsmith in my area that can inspect, borescope, and rebarrell/blueprint(?) if necessary?

thanks

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a problem with my 243, well to be more precise I think it's always shot fairly erratically but good enough for deer stalking at reasonable ranges. Now that I've got a 30-06 that is super consistent and accurate, I can assume it wasn't me being a crap shooter and so want to get the accuracy issue addressed with the 243. Basically I'm starting to need this rifle for foxing and I need a 250m capable fox gun and it's not accurate enough for that at the moment.

I've recently noticed a tiny chip on the crown, which may be contributing, but also it's pretty old and I have a suspicion the barrel maybe worn out. I pillar bedded the action a couple of years ago which massively improved and I'm confident it's a good. Oh it's a Musgrave mauser 98 action.

Is there a decent gunsmith in my area that can inspect, borescope, and rebarrell/blueprint(?) if necessary?

thanks
McKillop Engineering not particularly close, but can do all you are asking.

Hi guys,

thanks
Hi Kenny
Unless your Musgrave has sentimental value and you really want to keep it, it will be cheaper buying another rifle rather than a rebarrel

Last edited:
call Neil mckillop

he has a wealth of knowledge on musgraves and knowing Neil he may even have a muzzy barrel on the shelf,

bob

Hi

Mark Crudgington used to gun-smithing in Bath a few years ago now - not sure where he moved to in the area.
Someone else in that neck of the woods is sure to know of him........

L

Great stuff lads thanks - I shall have a ring round tomorrow.

Yes I realise it will probably be cheaper to get a new gun which is an option, but I am rather fond of the musgrave, it's got a rather beautiful stock I had some work done on and I shot my first deer and foxes with it.

I know I am repeating myself, for Mauser 98 type rifles Lothar Walther offers off the shelf (no wait) chambered and threaded barrels for around 220 Euro incl. tax. Fitting one of these is done in very short time. Lothar Walther has purpose built machine for chambering barrels. Several Euro competition shooters use LW barrels chambered by LW. (Including Euro 2015 F-Class champ).
edi

The top few scores in our club F-class comps always include people using rifles built by Neil McKillop

I know I am repeating myself, for Mauser 98 type rifles Lothar Walther offers off the shelf (no wait) chambered and threaded barrels for around 220 Euro incl. tax. Fitting one of these is done in very short time. Lothar Walther has purpose built machine for chambering barrels. Several Euro competition shooters use LW barrels chambered by LW. (Including Euro 2015 F-Class champ).
edi
what would the typical fitting cost be for a barrel do you know? Just wondering as I have never rebarreled but had seen numbers of £500 to £800 thrown around.

what would the typical fitting cost be for a barrel do you know? Just wondering as I have never rebarreled but had seen numbers of £500 to £800 thrown around.

I recently had a LW match barrel in LW 50 S/S (26 inch heavy profile) fitted, chambered, muzzle threaded, sent for proof testing/certification after threading and painted black and it came to around £700 including VAT. Without the threading and proof testing I would have expected it to be closer to £550.

Was it worth it? Well this was one of the groups shot during load development with it, and not the best by any means, so to me it was worth it for the accuracy and consistency I now get:

VMAX60_23.2g.jpg

Last edited:
Druid, that is something you must shop around for. The one I had made for myself was done in Germany. Very accurate rifle.
One thing is for sure it is much quicker to take off one barrel and headspace another than start to look for reamers, set up the lathe, cut barrel thread and chamber. The purchase price is also much lower than an un-chambered custom barrel.

edi

Chester, I recon that was a custom barrel. The ones I am referring to are #718 , #720, #722 or #724 ready for Mauser 98. 724 being the heaviest. chambered in 222 through to .500NE. Stainless versions are also available.
edi

The thing is most of the time it seems that when a barrel is shot out then everybody fits a custom barrel. Very nice and all but I think what I'm getting at is that if for example my hypothetical bog standard tikka eventually needs a new tube is it feasible to fit a "standard" at reasonable cost to get her running again?

there must be a lot of rifles out there that are past there best but don't justify a custom job?

Back