New house - Open Cert, can i shoot in my paddock?

phillips321

Hi guys,

So, I'm about to move house and was hoping to set up a practice range (100 yards) in the back field.

I have an open cert and the property (1.7acres) is surrounded by fields.

The land is flat and i would be looking at building a suitable backstop out of earth. I'll put more thought into this when i move in. I deem the land to be safe to shoot on as there are no public footpaths and the nearest neighbour is over 100m away followed by a few more at 300m. (It's the countryside)

In the direction i would be shooting there is nothing until 1km away, and that includes if i happen to shoot left or right by over 45degrees.

I deem it safe, and other than potentially upsetting my local neighbours can anyone offer advice for whom has set up the same. I'd likely meet them first and explain to them if they hear any shots coming from my direction it's just me and to not be alarmed. I would obviously ensure that i keep them happy.

Many thanks

P.s. The range would only be used for zero checking before i go out or for quickly testing home loads, not everyday shooting.

All the things that you have put in your original post clearly show you have carried out a "risk assesment" and deem it safe, the main hazard you have identified is upsetting neighbours and you have stated how you intend to mitigate that risk by talking to them first.
as far as I can see you have done everything to the book

I guess as you have an open ticket its up to you to decide.
a slight fly in the ointment may be the fact that you have to construct a backstop in order for it to be safe. Might your fld view that as construction of a range and is that likely to cause an issue?

No, because it's not fair on the rest of us who don't have such luxury. :)

Got a 88yrd one in my garden with a covered fireing point ;) closed ticket but the garden was cleared up to my 6.5mm/.260" cal (only 3/4 acre )

I guess as you have an open ticket its up to you to decide.
a slight fly in the ointment may be the fact that you have to construct a backstop in order for it to be safe. Might your fld view that as construction of a range and is that likely to cause an issue?

That's an interesting one

I've just dumped 10 tons of soil at the bottom of one of my fields in order to ensure safety when zeroing and practicing (new wording on my FAC)

When does good safety practice merge into constructing a range??

The most outstanding issue is with your neighbours vis a vis disturbance, with the possibility of a visit from an armed response unit, I have had two instances of the arrival of armed units, due to a meddling neighbour.

The most outstanding issue is with your neighbours vis a vis disturbance, with the possibility of a visit from an armed response unit, I have had two instances of the arrival of armed units, due to a meddling neighbour.

Sounds painful. I'm hoping that as i'll be in the middle of nowhere i'll have no worries. It's a small village anyway. And i guess people get to know each other.

What happened when the armed police turned up? Hopefully not 'guns blazing' like they were dealing with a major crime?

Sounds painful. I'm hoping that as i'll be in the middle of nowhere i'll have no worries. It's a small village anyway. And i guess people get to know each other.

What happened when the armed police turned up? Hopefully not 'guns blazing' like they were dealing with a major crime?

No, Just a frank exchange of views on the first visit, followed a week later by a return visit to confirm no further action, second visit they paid more attention to the rifles on ticket & what we shoot with them & how often,( think they were angling for a burger or summat!)

I don't think the fact that it is in open country is relevant if you don't own it all. You shouldn't have mentioned that. The planning authority might consider the backstop to be earthworks that require planning consent, but this will only become an issue if someone brings it to their attention. I recently spoke to someone who has a 400yrd range on 14 acres with plod's approval.

For the purpose of small arms, the military safety requirement defines an effective backstop of a 30 degree slope or the area for 2.9km behind the target to be free of civilians.

I think a chat with the neighbours who live at 100 Yards, a promise not to shoot at certain hours/days, some venison occasionally, and maybe an invite to pop over for a beer and watch you in action will seal the relationship with the neighbours to your advantage.

Last edited:
For the purpose of small arms, the military safety requirement defines an effective backstop of a 30 degree slope or the area for 2.9km behind the target to be free of civilians.

range rules are not relevant hes shooing on an open licence you dont get that backstop of Clearance when stalking especially in the South
(plus i think the Angle has been made a lot steeper my old club is Complaining they had to spend a lot of money to get the bank to teh New angle and it wont stay there due to laws of physics an there is a footpath running behind the butts which is not closed )

your not making a commercial range. Its for Zero and practice of your hunting guns as allowed by your FAC conditions etc
even then there are plenty of open Civi ranges about now that run for hunters on your open ticket OR are cleared up to a calibre that Target shooters cant use

you dont need a massive earth works either just something sensible and safe

I don't think you have an issue so long as it is not a commercial range and thus subject to HO approval/guidance. Probably worth dropping a note to the neighbours and being polite and upfront about it.

What about a couple of 2 mtr diameter concrete drainage rings filled with sand backstop and target board just inside the front ring?

Good idea to invite the neighbours over to ping a few rounds off though - that usually wins hearts and minds!

Not always the case. Some people are anti-shooting or anti-gun and no amount of smooth talk will ever change their views. All you can do in that case is reassure them that they are not in any danger and you are operating within the law.

Hi Mike - I dont see why they couldnt, assuming they either had an open ticket or the range was cleared by the police up to the neighbours rifle caliber if they had a closed ticket?

The OP holds the shooting rights so if they give permission to the neighbour then that should be ok?

Otherwise if the OP was present on the range with the neighbour they could borrow the "estate" rifle.

Thought the estate rifle clause didn't apply to target shooting (unless just checking zero etc before a paid stalk or similar)?

yes I agree not necessarily a problem if its their own rifle (fac conditions allowing)

Apart from the noise, you have no problem, as to building a backstop, why would you inform your council or flo ,that you have a mound in your field.

Back