Go on give me your opinion..........

Cut+Squirt

Hi everyone, i'm in the market for a new rifle and have narrowed it down to either......

1} Remington SPS Tactical.
2}STEYR MANNLICHER, Pro Hunter 2 {Mountain}.

Whatever one I decide on it will be in .223 and moderated.
It will be used as a bit of a jack of all trades, foxes, general vermin and sometimes roe {I'm in Scotland}.

I have never owned either a Remmy or a Steyr and fancy a change..........

Go on give me your opinion as I need to order it on Monday and can't decide.

personally i would go for the remington !

why ? my mate has just got one of the styer's and im not overly inpressed , he's has had to re-zero it 4 out the last 5 time weve been out !

cheers lee

Cheers guys, interesting........I always looked upon Steyrs as being really good quality rifles but the more I look into it, and hear different opinions i'm starting to wonder if their as good as I first thought.

Can't coment on the Rem or Mountain But I have a SSG-69 P1 in 243 with a 7 x 50 Meopta and it out shoots me (easy I know!) holds under 1/2 groups at 100 yards of the bench I have even had the odd 1 hole group, so if you can take the weight I belive Sportsmans has an offer on them.

I have at the present time a Remington 700 BDL in .243 and a Prohunter in .308, and would say both are good rifles and are capable of shooting sub 3/4" - 1/2" groups with homeloaded ammo.
The choice would be personal taste really! Have look & handle the 2 of them then decide.

Atb,

Moe..

Given the choice of a .223 by Remmington, a modern Mannlicher and a Tikka I would buy a Sako in .243 every time! JC

Last edited:

why ? my mate has just got one of the styer's and im not overly inpressed , he's has had to re-zero it 4 out the last 5 time weve been out !

cheers lee

Lee,

I would have thought if the rifle keeps losing zero it is unlikely to be a rifle performance issue, if its grouping well then maybe another reason optics, mounts etc No expert but just an instinct... Would be interested in other guys thoughts??

A friend has a pro hunter and although i don't like the look and feel performance wise I cannot fault it and many on here have shot deer with it...

ATB

Alex

I, for the life of me, cannot understand why you would choose either of the stated rifles :cuckoo: The Steyr's are badly stocked and you cannot rebarrel unless you send it to the factory, and the remingtons will only shoot if you buy loads of bits and the triggers are rubbish. Pass the tin hat somebody.

If you want economy try a Tikka (guaranteed to shoot 1" groups) or an X-bolt. But I would buy a Sako, even second hand.

ft

cheers lee

That may not be the rifle, but the mounts/scope or something else:-|

what ever one fits you and you are comfortable with,only you will know when you pick one up,try all makes new and second hand

I've got a Prohunter 2 in 6.5 (not Mountain). I love it, zero has never shifted despite some rough treatment, not fussy on ammo. Use a bipod and never had probs with forend flexing. It's more accurate than I am and the trigger is a beaut...don't go American.

flytie seems to have a patholigical dislike of Minnlickers but is bumming up the Tikka T3, which is the Ford Cortina of the rifle world. Tikkas of old are not Tikkas of new. This is the bread and butter of the FC and I dont doubt they shoot out of the box but for how long. you might need to rebarrel a T3 but not a Mannlicher.

Now each is entitled , but.....

I bought a mannlicher pro in 223 for a farmer friend put a T8 upon it and a swaro 8x56 on warne rings. this is tops for the money shoot well, is a bit heavy but kills a lot of foxes and roe.

Now the chap in question shoots a 270 forged by trevor protcer and i have had a few toys myself. I would go european everytime but the tikka T3 is not for me or him.

I own a SIG, CZ, Tikka 695, ruger M77 and a remington 700 and the Remmy is for me the better tool. Triggers are more complex, so strip them, clean then and sort them, not rocket science.

Buy a CZ 525 american. the most underrated gun on the market due to badge snobbery.

KISS, keep it simple stupid.

I'm interested in the often negative comments regarding Remingtons on this site.

Over the years I have owned Remington 700's in the following configurations: a .243 that was fitted into a thumbhole stock by Mcleods of Tain, a .22-250 VSSF, .25-05 Sendero, .22-250 VSF, .22-250 VLS that was the bases of a complete custom build into a .243AI that I currently shoot with. I have also owned a .243 Manlicher Luxus, a Krico .308 and 4 Sako's in .270(2), ,22-250 and .243. Every one of them shot accurately out the box whether with factory or homeloads. Albeit some a bit more so than others.

Remingtons for years were the choice of gunsmiths for custom jobs as they are very easy to accurise to a standard for bench rest. Calum Ferguson at PRS began his business using them, with Sako's. Some custom action manufacturers have copied the Remington design exactly in there own actions. For about £35 you can get a Remington trigger worked on, or £200 buys you a Jewell. Surely there are on occasion, good and bad (regarding accuracy) individual rifles produced no matter who the manufacturer is? In other words, if you search hard enough I'm sure we could find horror stories about every manufacturers products. I think its a bit of a shame that when someone has researched their product we try and discourage them because of one or 2 negative reports we have heard of. As I said, I have never had a problem with any of the above. Before anyone asks, they were only changed because of their intended uses, species, ground used on changing (and variety is the spice).

I do have issues however, with injection moulded stocks on rifles as they are prone to moving with climatic change. Remington uses HS Precision stocks on many of their rifles.
All I would perhaps comment on is the choice of calibre. I have nothing against the .223 having shot a friends on numerous occasions. However, it would be a shame to find yourself with the offer of shooting red, sika or fallow (especially given where you live) in the future and not being able to use your own gun. Unless of course this one is adding to a collection.

Good luck in deciding on what to go for.

It's true, I've seen Welsh Guy shoot a one hole group with his SSG. But then again it was only one round fired:D

Just like a good pair of bins buy the best and you will only need to buy once. SAUER 202 OUTBACK LITE SYNTHETIC :cool:

Back