Did I do the "right thing"?

I'm not picking on you specifically Lateral, but there are a lot of comments that imply that someone deserves to be rewarded for doing what is obviously the right thing...

It's a bit like me saying "thanks for not ravaging my wife whilst I was out at work, you deserve a go on her later if you like?" :doh:

I decided not to rob a bank last week - I reckon I deserve someone giving me £100... PM me if you're up for it and I'll give you my paypal details :p

BeardyWierdy,

You're entitled to your opinion, however, I feel it, and your analogies somewhat misplaced.

VSS asked the land owner about shooting, and the land owner said yes he could, because even though he'd told someone else they could shoot, nothing had been signed. It's not unreasonable to assume the land owner favoured VSS, or he wouldn't have offered to let him shoot in preference to the other stalker !

In my humble opinion, VSS was EXTREMELY generous to back away, when the shooting had been OFFERED to him, without him offering an incentive, such as payment.

So yes, if the other stalker sees this, he should be flippin grateful it was VSS asking about the stalking, and not the vast majority of other stalkers, who would have just blown them out !

Personally, I would have see if there was a way for both parties to shoot.

VSS it would do harm to leave the situation for a month or so and follow up with a call to the land owner to see if the other person has actually taken up the permission. There are plenty of places out there where people have been given permission and they don't even bother as they have plenty of other ground etc. Or ask to be introduced to him as he might be quite amenable to some sort of arrangement.

well done lad,nowt worse than stepping on toes,i don't have any probs with my stalking ground but my rough and pigeon ground has a barrage of guys at the farmers door despite me never being off there and some people have no shame or morals as people I have took out have gone back and asked,,,,,

VSS it would do harm to leave the situation for a month or so and follow up with a call to the land owner to see if the other person has actually taken up the permission. There are plenty of places out there where people have been given permission and they don't even bother as they have plenty of other ground etc. Or ask to be introduced to him as he might be quite amenable to some sort of arrangement.

sounds like a good idea

Yes - the right thing.

The bane of my shooting life is fending off overbearing syndicates, other stalkers who know damn well it's your permission, sub-letting gamekeepers etc etc

You will know when the right one comes up

ditto - constantly fending of offers to "help" from neighbouring syndicate saying there are too many deer (absolutely untrue) and individuals trying to muscle in. It is pretty cut throat. On the other hand, there are guys sitting on permissions where they are not doing half of what they should because they've got so many. Which must be very frustrating for those who cannot get anywhere.

Yes you did do the right thing. Walk away head held high. You never no, leave your name and contact details with the said land owner, if the other chap does not live up to task in hand this land owner may well be on the phone to you. And remember you got asked to do it, circumstances did not work out this time but next time you may well get what your hoping for. I wish you you all the best in the future.

Spoken like a prophet!
What goes around has indeed come around :thumb:

I would write to the landowner asking him to forward your letter and contact details to this new stalker. Simply introduce yourself and ask if he would consider contacting you if his new team doesn't work out.
Plenty of stalkers agree to be part of a syndicate/team but then do not actually turn up as often as was expected/asked for. One day, either the landowner or the main lease-holder may get back to you. Good luck.

I would write to the landowner asking him to forward your letter and contact details to this new stalker. Simply introduce yourself and ask if he would consider contacting you if his new team doesn't work out.
Plenty of stalkers agree to be part of a syndicate/team but then do not actually turn up as often as was expected/asked for. One day, either the landowner or the main lease-holder may get back to you. Good luck.

Hi Erik, I think you missed the point of my last post. Look at the dates - a year has passed since I started the thread. The landowner has just contacted me out of the blue . ;)

Last edited:
And my advice to you would be:-

Try to find out why the previous deal went sour.
Do it yourself
Take every opportunity to turn it into a friendship as opposed to a business deal
Don't take anyone out who lives closer than 300miles away.
Always call or text the landowner if you are going to collect deer in the car at night (eg I've just shot x and am going to pick it up)

Enjoy it!

I've even had a SD member tell me he was mail shotting farmers in an area he was reliably informed I stalked in recently !

I turned down my first potential deer permission :cry:

I've been a member of this site for a long time now, have passed my DSC1, and have been on a number of outings courtesy of generous SD members. But I've yet to down my first deer.

I was talking to another landowner recently, who happened to mention that he owned a fair bit of ground near ---------.
Knowing that area to be pretty "deery" I popped the inevitable question.
Yes, he replied, it's absolutely overrun with deer, and he'd be delighted if I'd carry out the necessary culling for him... As it happened he'd just agreed (a couple of days before) with another stalker to do it for him, but as the other chap hadn't yet signed on the dotted line..........

At this point I politely withdrew.

Did I do the "Right Thing"? It's a cut-throat world out there....

There's a fairly high chance that the other stalker is an SD member. One day I'll find out who you are, and when I do you can buy me a pint. Or two.
;)

Hi VSS
If the land owner has a lot of land , sharing would have been the best option . The other stalker might have more stalking in the area than he can cover . Collective of land and only goes there if he has deer on no other ground . You could be there when the other stalkers not giving the farmer a good service

You did the right thing VSS. You have earnt some good Karma.

If you find yourself in Suffolk send me a PM and I will do my best to find you a Roe.

Hi Erik, I think you missed the point of my last post. Look at the dates - a year has passed since I started the thread. The landowner has just contacted me out of the blue . ;)

Llongyfarchiadau! Good manners and decency has paid off.
Now to break your duck (unless you did so in the last 12 months...)

What deer is it that you have on the ground?

Back