95 sst N140 243win

jimmy milnes

Anyone got any start data for 95g bullets in a 243 using N140 please? Not ideal powder choice I know as maybe a little fast but it's what I already have in the cupboard so would be handy to try it first.
Cheers
Jimmy

Anyone got any start data for 95g bullets in a 243 using N140 please? Not ideal powder choice I know as maybe a little fast but it's what I already have in the cupboard so would be handy to try it first.
Cheers
Jimmy

Jimmy,

I have just run N-140 through quickload and 37gr is a safe load with room to try and fill the case a little more if you feel you need to. It gives a 100% burn and in a 22" barrel will give 2,838fps with a maximum chamber pressure of 53,930 psi.

If you give me the actual bullet, seating depth, CAOL and barrel length I can work out a more accurate load for you on quickload.

Regards, Simon

Reactions: MAH
A very old thread but curious if you made this work? 🤔

I’ve the same quandary at present and would like to use up my SSTs rather than have them Sat about
Yes got a nice load working with 37 grains, did go 38 initially but was showing slight pressure so backed off a grain
Since then though ive swapped it to eldm
Jimmy

Thank you jimmy, I had a nice load with rl19 but can no longer source it locally. I have N140 which I have for 150sst in 308 so was thinking of going to 75 or 87 VMAX as load data is available

If I can get a decent result with the 95sst though I’ll stick with them as the rifle does like them

Yes got a nice load working with 37 grains, did go 38 initially but was showing slight pressure so backed off a grain
Since then though ive swapped it to eldm
Jimmy
Ignore this as the threads is that long ago id forgotten the original subject.... My load abo6is not 243...

Thank you jimmy, I had a nice load with rl19 but can no longer source it locally. I have N140 which I have for 150sst in 308 so was thinking of going to 75 or 87 VMAX as load data is available

If I can get a decent result with the 95sst though I’ll stick with them as the rifle does like them
Ignore this load i mentioned matey sorry its that long since the original thread id lost track.. The load i state isn't the one for 243

I tried Hornady ammo loaded with the SST in my 243 on Roe deer. No need for a knife - the bullet unzips everything for you :)

I tried Hornady ammo loaded with the SST in my 243 on Roe deer. No need for a knife - the bullet unzips everything for you :)
I’ve not had the same experience myself to be honest. Yes if you smack one through the shoulder bones you get a mess but I find the SST a solid performer on anything I point it at to be fair

Ignore this load i mentioned matey sorry its that long since the original thread id lost track.. The load i state isn't the one for 243
By chance though GRT seems to agree with you?…🤔😂

I am not a reloading expert & still finding my way around GRT but that’s an OBT adjusted load taking into account my 1x fired brass and a 22” barrel at sammi length

Nigh on 37g

Attachments

• 18DE61B9-FBB5-4EE7-8C18-E542C5572446.jpeg
    18DE61B9-FBB5-4EE7-8C18-E542C5572446.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 13
So that didn’t go to plan 🙄

Tried the following charges 36.6-36.8-37

All look like shotgun patterns & am getting blown primers along with clear case flattening against the bolt face?….

MV is nearer 3000fps than the predicted 2600+

Tried a 2nd batch at 36.8 without crimping to see if it was the contributing factor but alas it was the same experience

Bit lost as GRT says this shouldn’t be an issue

Any help fellas? 🤔😬

Cornishman. Just ran your data through P-Max and you're only getting a 78% case fill. The following message is displayed:
Low loading density. Results may be unreliable.

Cornishman. Just ran your data through P-Max and you're only getting a 78% case fill. The following message is displayed:
Low loading density. Results may be unreliable.
Thanks Jelen, appreciate the effort on your part. I’ve scrapped this load and sourced some 75g VMAX

Started load development today and it looks promising. My only problem now is working out where to go next with my results🤔😂

May need another post 😬

Back