.243 Tikka 20inch barrel

Sako3006

My humble apologies if this has been done before, but here goes:- I have had to sell all my rifles due to a recent physical disability and have gone for light rifles and one of them being a new Tikka T3 Lite in .243. Now I have not owned or used a .243 for years. I plan to shoot either Federal 100 grn or Geco 105 grn (subject to the rifle liking them). I guess my initial thoughts and concerns are the short 20 inch barrel and please bare in mind that normally I have rifles with a 22 inch barrel minimum. Has anyone found any shortfall in the 20 inch barrel .243, I am kind of asking for personal experiences rather than what the ballistics tables say. Any help and advice/observations gratefully received.

100grn is pretty much the max for a 243 with 20" barrel.
I and one of my shooting buddies have 243 T3 lites with 20 inch barrels and they group fine with 100 grain but they didn't like 105 grain.
Unless you're shooting red deer where 100grain is the minimum weight required, you'd be better with a lighter bullet around the 80 grain mark

Cheers

Bruce

My T3 Lite wouldn't group the Fedral powershoks very well at all, especially the 100 grain. I never tried the 105 Geco so can't comment on those. The SST rounds were superb with both the 95 and 75 grain having the same point 100m. The 95 grain were good on fallow and I used the 75 on a couple of roe which were also very good. The 95 grain I also shot on steel at 500m and was very impressed by their accuracy or a factory round. Now that I'm home loading I'm shooting 85 grain Game Kings at about <3000fps.

The one I had shot very well with Geco 105gr, but better still with Norma 100gr SP, which I also found to be a more reliable performer on large deer. Expensive but gave total confidence!

Try the Sako 100g; by far the most accurate round in my Sako 75 (admittedly 22 1/2" barrels).

T3 barrels seem to be very unfussy indeed - the one I had in 243 shot everything better than I could hold.

It particularly liked the big standard Federal 100grs (blue box), which worked extremely well on roe.

I still severely regret selling the rifle - far better than the sako 75 that replaced it. I still stalk with the guy I sold it to, and he happily shoots everything up to big fallow bucks with it.

I didn't have much joy with the Geco 105 grn. 100 grn federals and RWS were both spot on. Federals a bit messier than the RWS.

My Sako 85 with the 20'' barrel loves the SST 95gr, very accurate and the Geco 105gr sp I tried were ok too. I never tried the Geco on paper so can't say what they grouped like but, everything they were pointed at went down…

cjs

My Sako 85 with the 20'' barrel loves the SST 95gr, very accurate and the Geco 105gr sp I tried were ok too. I never tried the Geco on paper so can't say what they grouped like but, everything they were pointed at went down…

cjs

Am sure this must be an error on your part as this post suggests that you never sighted the rifle in for this load : ..........................

I never tried the Geco on paper so can't say what they grouped like but, everything they were pointed at went down…

Now with the scrutiny that we are under as I say this must be an error.

My humble apologies if this has been done before, but here goes:- I have had to sell all my rifles due to a recent physical disability and have gone for light rifles and one of them being a new Tikka T3 Lite in .243. Now I have not owned or used a .243 for years. I plan to shoot either Federal 100 grn or Geco 105 grn (subject to the rifle liking them). I guess my initial thoughts and concerns are the short 20 inch barrel and please bare in mind that normally I have rifles with a 22 inch barrel minimum. Has anyone found any shortfall in the 20 inch barrel .243, I am kind of asking for personal experiences rather than what the ballistics tables say. Any help and advice/observations gratefully received.

Nothing wrong with the 20" - makes no practical difference unless you're into 300m+ varminting?

Do you homeload?

Am sure this must be an error on your part as this post suggests that you never sighted the rifle in for this load : ..........................

Put a few clay pigeons out at 100m and shoot them with the new load. They all break so you know youre getting acceptable accuracy at that distance good enough for stalking etc.

Put a few clay pigeons out at 100m and shoot them with the new load. They all break so you know youre getting acceptable accuracy at that distance good enough for stalking etc.

I realised it was an error or rather an omission :D but do not let some see that your happy at not getting tiny bug hole groups :scared:.

One could always stamp 22" onto the 20" barrel to make one feel better.:D wouldn't notice much of a difference anyway.

Regarding the accuracy of a stalking rifle, better accuracy than one inch is nothing to be ashamed of, even as a "Loden" hunter. One should be ashamed if one has to get the tracking dog. It seems to be the other way around here on this forum.
edi

Jeez! Get a life fella. I said I don't know what they grouped like. I never mentioned checking zero!!

cjs

Sako 3006, The most accurate bullet I used in the exact same rifle was the 85 grn Sierra game king.

34.5 grn H4895, Norma brass, Fed 210 primers. (check the hodgdon powder sight)

If you want to go up to a heavier bullet, 100 grn Sierra game king, drop the powder to 33grn. You will find them very accurate as well. Good luck with the new calibre. john

Jeez! Get a life fella. I said I don't know what they grouped like. I never mentioned checking zero!!

cjs

My ...... my we are touchy aren't we!

On another thread someone suggested that anyone who uses Iron sights has not care for the quarries welfare so as you have not checked how this load performs that could as easily be said of you. Now we know that certain people/groups who have shootign and huntings demise as their aim do read these forums my post you quoted was aimed at pointing out how your post could be taken. From your response I am wondering if you actually care how you and other shooters and hunters are viewed?

I have had some really useful information and points put across, which has and is in fact very helpful and I will most certainly be taking advantage of your help.
Many thanks.

My ...... my we are touchy aren't we!

On another thread someone suggested that anyone who uses Iron sights has not care for the quarries welfare so as you have not checked how this load performs that could as easily be said of you. Now we know that certain people/groups who have shootign and huntings demise as their aim do read these forums my post you quoted was aimed at pointing out how your post could be taken. From your response I am wondering if you actually care how you and other shooters and hunters are viewed?
And if you believe those people who wish for the demise of your sport, will be swayed by anything you say , you live in dream land.

And if you believe those people who wish for the demise of your sport, will be swayed by anything you say , you live in dream land.

No not dream land just trying to reduce the ammunition they have to use against shooting and hunting. What is the point of feeding them with it?

Back