CZ 527 scope mounting issues.

Sako308

I am having the usual issues trying to fit a scope on my newly acquired CZ 527 (Ebony Edition), can anyone advise what the lowest rings available are for this rifle. I am trying to source a modified bolt handle to help with this. The rifle came with an S&B Klassik 8x56 mounted half a mile away from the receiver. Ideally I would like to fit a 3-10x40ish (1" tube) size scope as low as possible.

Warne mediums are the best option I have found for mounting a 40/44mm scope close to the barrel
and still be able to cycle your modified bolt knob.
That said I have drifted back to using standard CZ mounts, yes they are higher than needed for clearance
but they are also designed to allow your eye and the scope to line up without contorting yourself.

Neil. :)

May I ask what scope you use with the Burris rings?
I have a number of them on different rifles. The largest is a 4-16X with a 42mm front objective on my 204 Varmint, iirc. The bolt clears without modfication. The scope is a US brand called Scheels so that won't help you much. What diameter is the widest point on the rear objective of your scope? I can compare it to mine and tell you if it will work.~Muir

I use one piece KOZAP rings for mine, with a Nightforce scope mounted on top and have no issues with bolt clearance. The objective is 56mm and almost touches the top of the barrel. I had a 50mm Objective scope mounted on it previously which left 5 or 6mm clearance.

Thanks for all the advise, I have some Leupold CZ medium rings on the way and will try my Leupold VX-1 4-12x40 to check the fit. They have 1.6" eye piece, more compact than most so should work. If that looks good then I have my eye on a VX-3i 3.5-10x50 (may as well go 50mm as the bolt clearance is the limiting factor rather than barrel clearance). Will post a picture in due course.

If you are passing through Edinburgh I can alter the bolt and polish it up for you, can even blue it if you want

did the same to a Brno fox as no matter what you want you can't mount a 44 close to the barrel if it has a normal sized occular

If you are passing through Edinburgh I can alter the bolt and polish it up for you, can even blue it if you want

did the same to a Brno fox as no matter what you want you can't mount a 44 close to the barrel if it has a normal sized occular

Thanks, will see how the set up goes and post back, seems like plenty of trail and error required with this rifle.

My BRNO fox after fettling
different knob but same angle and fixing to bolt as the 527

020-3.jpg

021-1.jpg

027.jpg

I am having the usual issues trying to fit a scope on my newly acquired CZ 527 (Ebony Edition), can anyone advise what the lowest rings available are for this rifle. I am trying to source a modified bolt handle to help with this. The rifle came with an S&B Klassik 8x56 mounted half a mile away from the receiver. Ideally I would like to fit a 3-10x40ish (1" tube) size scope as low as possible.

Your original post was a complaint about the flagpole stance of the optics on your second-hand purchase. You haven’t provided any detail of the mounts currently clamped to your used CZ, but I did measure the height of some of the options on buying mine new. As you might expect, they’re all very much the same because they’re designed for the action or buyers would squawk.

As the pictures show, the problem with the CZ527 isn’t the bolt knob but the angular elbow on the handle where it joins the bolt. This fouls the large diameter oculars or the power selector ring fitted to some ‘scopes, so extra clearance is built into the mounts. Therein lies the problem.

The CZ527 American comes via EB from Kansas City complete with CZ ‘LOW’ rings for 1-inch tube scopes (P/No #5273- 1051-6409xx). At the time I bought mine this was the only model with CZ rings already supplied for the convenience of U.S. buyers. On these the caliper measurement from the flat of the dovetail to the radius above (where the ‘scope tube makes contact) is .550”. Let’s call this (A).

On 1-inch LOW Millett W/A mounts [#BN00001] the (A) measurement is .473”. On the higher MEDIUM 1” Millett mounts the (A) measurement is .586”. On a set of Warne mounts I checked (assured to be LOW but already fitted to another CZ527) the clearance (A) was apparently .560”. Warne mounts seem to be a Chinese puzzle so aren’t one of my favourites.

The point is that if you’re hoping for a lower setup there isn’t more than 2-3mm difference between these makes. As swapping wouldn’t confer any benefit to mankind or me it was best to stick with the CZ mounts already paid for in the RRP. The ‘scope in them is a 2.5 – 10 x 44 with a 40mm ocular, and there’s still 3mm clearance at the eyepiece. Not my choice at all with all that power on tap, but it came for free on a P/Ex. If following the fashion for mounting a whopper up top from the LSO brass section the CZ mounts would still fit as the Czechs no doubt intended.

This ‘scope looks high, but that’s partly an effect of the dinky micro-action. Everything is pushed out of scale, and the action rail/’scope tube gap appears big enough to limbo under.

One option is a raised Monte Carlo type stock, as the Classic stock fitted to the American is the highest at the comb you can get. Otherwise the only remedy is to fit a raised cheek pad, and put up with things as they are. Otherwise you will need ‘custom’ low rings to go with your flattened bolt handle. With these you’ll have moved from cosmetic appearance to an actual improvement where the ‘scope is no longer floating up in the ionosphere.;)

Your original post was a complaint about the flagpole stance of the optics on your second-hand purchase. You haven’t provided any detail of the mounts currently clamped to your used CZ, but I did measure the height of some of the options on buying mine new. As you might expect, they’re all very much the same because they’re designed for the action or buyers would squawk.

As the pictures show, the problem with the CZ527 isn’t the bolt knob but the angular elbow on the handle where it joins the bolt. This fouls the large diameter oculars or the power selector ring fitted to some ‘scopes, so extra clearance is built into the mounts. Therein lies the problem.

The CZ527 American comes via EB from Kansas City complete with CZ ‘LOW’ rings for 1-inch tube scopes (P/No #5273- 1051-6409xx). At the time I bought mine this was the only model with CZ rings already supplied for the convenience of U.S. buyers. On these the caliper measurement from the flat of the dovetail to the radius above (where the ‘scope tube makes contact) is .550”. Let’s call this (A).

On 1-inch LOW Millett W/A mounts [#BN00001] the (A) measurement is .473”. On the higher MEDIUM 1” Millett mounts the (A) measurement is .586”. On a set of Warne mounts I checked (assured to be LOW but already fitted to another CZ527) the clearance (A) was apparently .560”. Warne mounts seem to be a Chinese puzzle so aren’t one of my favourites.

The point is that if you’re hoping for a lower setup there isn’t more than 2-3mm difference between these makes. As swapping wouldn’t confer any benefit to mankind or me it was best to stick with the CZ mounts already paid for in the RRP. The ‘scope in them is a 2.5 – 10 x 44 with a 40mm ocular, and there’s still 3mm clearance at the eyepiece. Not my choice at all with all that power on tap, but it came for free on a P/Ex. If following the fashion for mounting a whopper up top from the LSO brass section the CZ mounts would still fit as the Czechs no doubt intended.

This ‘scope looks high, but that’s partly an effect of the dinky micro-action. Everything is pushed out of scale, and the action rail/’scope tube gap appears big enough to limbo under.

One option is a raised Monte Carlo type stock, as the Classic stock fitted to the American is the highest at the comb you can get. Otherwise the only remedy is to fit a raised cheek pad, and put up with things as they are. Otherwise you will need ‘custom’ low rings to go with your flattened bolt handle. With these you’ll have moved from cosmetic appearance to an actual improvement where the ‘scope is no longer floating up in the ionosphere.;)

Thank you for the detailed post, glad to learn from someone who has had experience with this. I inherited the rifle with rather crude unmarked rings, I have ordered the Leupold CZ medium rings which should be about 4mm lower than the current ones, so that's a start (the Leupold website says they are 1" from the contact point to the centre of the ring).

If that causes a problem with the bolt handle elbow then I will look to acquire a modified bolt or have the current one altered. The Ebony Edition has a Bavarian style stock which doesn't help matters either with head position or fitting a cheek pad with the curved comb.

I will fiddle around for a while and post back when I have arrived at some sort of conclusion.

Ok for the CZ have ordered:

Leupold CZ Medium rings.
Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 scope.
Beartooth Comb Raiser Kit 2.0 (Brown).

Hopefully this will work, will post pictures soon. Cheers for everyone's advice, has been a bit of a minefield this one.

A lot of modern scope have large occular lenses. Try a scope with a more traditional design, with a slimmer eye bell, like the Nikon Buckmaster, Leupolds, Weaver K series, Burris Fullfield II, or Swift Reliant.

I had to take the grinder to mine then I just polished it up and blued it I had the standard CZ mounts with a Nikon monarch 3 6-24x50 and it was fine after a bit of work

Back