Thread: Working in NZ, firearms?

Working in NZ, firearms?

I'm possibly going to work for a couple of years in NZ and would like to take my firearms with me. Now I know I can get a visitors firearms permit, but thats only for 6 months or a year or so...

Is it possible to have them with me all the time I am there? What would/should I apply for? I have contacted the NZ authorities, but I'm yet to receive a straight answer.
    Has anyone had experience doing this?

I can always leave a couple of my main rifles on a friends ticket, and get them down the line, or sell them all and start again once i'm settled, but I am happy with the setups I have already, as you would expect.

Many thanks

Sorry can't give you a answer .. But have thought about moving to New Zealand for a while now myself so I'm interested in the same answers myself ..are you going to be a stalking guide out there working on a deer farm or different work and just want to take your rifles for your own personel shooting?

the first question is do you have residency, if yes bring your rifles , apply for a visitors permit at the airport, ( you will not be able to do this on line as you have no return flight) once settled apply for a NZ license. Keep your UK license until you obtain your NZ license, the UK FAD (d&c ? ) will ask you to surrender it as you are out of the country for more than 12 months. This is how I did mine.
    option 2 is to buy rifles while here ( bring your scopes if you like) very easy to do, check out prices at either gun city or better still "hunting and fishing NZ " if you end up in northland call into the whangarei branch I am sure I can find what you want.

I will only be on a sponsored work visa to begin with.
    Thanks for the replies

Victoria Australia Sambar country.
    No matter what NZ is the most firearm friendly country in the western world,you wont have any problems at all.
    Dont dither,take the shot!