Wagbi/basc foreshore fowling - where did it go?

enfieldspares

This, please, isn't a BASC "bashing" thread. So if your reply wants to do that please don't post.

In the other BASC thread I posted about the rights that WAGBI/BASC Members once had to wildfowl on the Crown's foreshore. I 'phoned BASC ten, maybe fifteen years ago, to ask if that right still existed. I was told that it didn't.

Ok. So this is my thread:

1) When did it cease?

2)Why did it cease? Did the Crown take it back? What happened?

3)Does it mean that any person can wildfowl on the Crown foreshore nowadays and they don't have to be a WAGBI/BASC Member?

In other words "Where did it go and does it, in any form, still exist?".

Please...NO BASHING!

Long term leases were secured from the Crown, MOD, and adjoining Landowners
by the Various Individual Wildfowlers Clubs that now control the wildfowling.
usually under in association with BASC
membership and permits are usually available at reasonable cost.
If you are interested BASC has a permit booklet on their site
The General right ended in 1999.
Many areas are also now nature reserves.
.................an old WAGBI member

Thank you BADB. Fantastic. As you say from £10 or so a day. So in effect unless through this permit booklet there's no longer any turn up as Joe Public and go shooting?

Last edited:
So the answer may be anyone can shoot from foreshore that is not private (whether WF Club or any other owner), all BASC does is guarantee indemnity (for what) beyond what an average Jo might have as a member of any insured shooting org?

More details on the current situation are here: http://basc.org.uk/wildfowling/crown-estate/

Kes, given this and I am sure other forums are viewed by the police et al, I am a little surprised that you seem to be admitting in post #3 ' I hope the right still exists as I have done it rather a lot - potential ooops. that you have shot on land that you were not sure you had the legal rights to do so...more than an 'ooops' more like risking your ticket!

But why wouldn't BASC, with thousands of wildfolwers, not work with our clubs to help them secure their shooting rights?

More details on the current situation are here: http://basc.org.uk/wildfowling/crown-estate/

Kes, given this and I am sure other forums are viewed by the police et al, I am a little surprised that you seem to be admitting in post #3 ' I hope the right still exists as I have done it rather a lot - potential ooops. that you have shot on land that you were not sure you had the legal rights to do so...more than an 'ooops' more like risking your ticket!

But why wouldn't BASC, with thousands of wildfolwers, not work with our clubs to help them secure their shooting rights?

I shot in Anglesey when, at the time, the land I crossed was private and upon which I had permission to shoot (with others) - from that to the high tide mark and then between high and low water. So my query related to shooting between the high and low water marks not of shooting on private land. One hopes the police, who you seem keen to alert, would recognise that it was legitimate and legal.
Thanks for pointing that out. Seems it isnt just BASC bashing thats in fashion but individuals too. I shall remember that.

I shot in Anglesey when, at the time, the land I crossed was private and upon which I had permission to shoot (with others) - from that to the high tide mark and then between high and low water. So my query related to shooting between the high and low water marks not of shooting on private land. One hopes the police, who you seem keen to alert, would recognise that it was legitimate and legal.
Thanks for pointing that out. Seems it isnt just BASC bashing thats in fashion but individuals too. I shall remember that.

Good reply Kes...'Kes bashing' took the words right out of my mouth. Shame it has got like this.....

Really Kes? David is offering you free advice for your protection. How the hell is that Kes bashing? Protection of Kes' freedom and SGC more like.
If David hadn't said anything and you had subsequently been nicked for it, you would have been moaning about BASC on here for not giving their advice for free, knowing that you could have been breaking the law. Damned if they do and damned if they don't! I don't know why they bother trying to help some people, I really don't! Perhaps, now that you have slept on it, a personal apology to David is in order?

Last edited:
Really Kes? David is offering you free advice for your protection. How the hell is that Kes bashing? Protection of Kes' freedom and SGC more like.
If David hadn't said anything and you had subsequently been nicked for it, you would have been moaning about BASC on here for not giving their advice for free, knowing that you could have been breaking the law. Damned if they do and damned if they don't! I don't know why they bother trying to help some people, I really don't! Perhaps, now that you have slept on it, a personal apology to David is in order?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Over personal issues, if I cant do better than BASC, on my own, I think I'd give up shooting there are lots of helpful people on here and elsewhere who willingly provide experienced advice.

I just dont like what I have reason to believe are personal attacks, you may. This isn't the first.
Last comment on this from me.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Over personal issues, if I cant do better than BASC, on my own, I think I'd give up shooting there are lots of helpful people on here and elsewhere who willingly provide experienced advice.

I just dont like what I have reason to believe are personal attacks, you may. This isn't the first.
Last comment on this from me.
Well that didn't take long did it Kes? The OP stated that he didn't want any BASC bashing posts. Well done on that! You admitted in your very first post that you may have broken the law many times? Perhaps you should have sought some advice from some of these helpful people that you talk about before carrying out what was potentially armed trespass? You are aware that BASC have a legal team which will know far more than your helpful friends I assume? I know who I would ask first, that's for sure!
I don't like person attacks either but David's reply to you most certainly wasn't one. Perhaps you're just a little too sensitive? You should IMO be thanking him for taking the time to advise you. Clearly as he's BASC, you're never going to lower yourself to that which is a real shame!
I'm out!

Last edited:
Please all remember, the police do look at social media and people have been revoked for things they h ave posted, so my point is clear, take care,

Well meaning advice from people on forums is all well and good, and valuable I agree, but my advice to you all is if in doubt , especially on a point of law, check with your organisation or the police

For those of you who like it from the horses mouth, Here is a definitive statement from the Crown Estates which I obtained by contacting them.
To answer the specific concern of "where did it go", follow the link, that gives some information about the history of the loss of wildfowling on the UK foreshore. I do not know who thought to have a meeting to discuss forshore issues and withdraw the right to wildfowl, perhaps BASC, who appeared to be at the first meeting of the group could tell us ?

Dear Mr *****

There remains a public right of wildfowling in Scotland and would suggest that you contact my colleague Paul Bancks if your enquiry relates to Scotland (paul.bancks@thecrownestate.co.uk).

In the rest of the UK, wildfowling can only take place with the landowner’s permission and, if it is within a designated area (e.g. SSSI), with the appropriate consent of the relevant conservation agency.

We do not licence individuals to wildfowl, only recognised wildfowling clubs, most of whom are affiliated to BASC. Our website has further details here: http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural-and-coastal/coastal/wildfowling/

Regards,

Martin Brazier.

link info

In 1995 we established the Joint Group for Wildfowling and Conservation on Tidal Land (JTG). In addition to representatives from our marine team, membership includes:
  • our own coastal portfolio
  • Natural England
  • Natural Resources Wales (formerly the Countryside Council for Wales)
  • Northern Ireland Environment Agency
  • British Association for Shooting and Conservation.

Meeting twice a year, the JTG examines general management issues as well as specific lease applications and renewals.

Last edited:
This, please, isn't a BASC "bashing" thread. So if your reply wants to do that please don't post.

In the other BASC thread I posted about the rights that WAGBI/BASC Members once had to wildfowl on the Crown's foreshore. I 'phoned BASC ten, maybe fifteen years ago, to ask if that right still existed. I was told that it didn't.

Ok. So this is my thread:

1) When did it cease?

2)Why did it cease? Did the Crown take it back? What happened?

3)Does it mean that any person can wildfowl on the Crown foreshore nowadays and they don't have to be a WAGBI/BASC Member?

In other words "Where did it go and does it, in any form, still exist?".

Please...NO BASHING!

i dare say people abused it and were egregious about how and where they shot and the crown as a landowner took it back

Please all remember, the police do look at social media and people have been revoked for things they h ave posted, so my point is clear, take care,

Well meaning advice from people on forums is all well and good, and valuable I agree, but my advice to you all is if in doubt , especially on a point of law, check with your organisation or the police

there are some on here that deserve revocation but hide behind names. Some are known by real names but the police can trace by internet providers.

there are some on here that deserve revocation but hide behind names. Some are known by real names but the police can trace by internet providers.

Interesting post - a bit 'off piste' but do you have anyone in mind? Is tFl Transport for London?

Back