DIY Reactive Targets

Woodsmoke

I know proprietary reactive pyrotechnic targets can be bought from the likes of Bushwear, etc. My question(s) to anyone in the know is this:

Is it legal in the UK to make your own? And does it require an Explosives License? (The question is of course subject to the standard 'I ain't dunnit, I'm just asking the question' clause, of course) ;)

My view: even if legal (I don't know though) someone will try to make an example of you either under explosives or counter terrorism law. You may get away with it in the end, but it will cost you +++time and +++money.

I'd avoid, just because of the hassle of any fall out.

A small "water bomb" ballon filled with coloured water makes a cheap re-active target if it's just for an outdoor "fun shoot". And that's small. Just hang it from a rail on a piece of string.

I like the idea of making my own if it's legal to do so. After all, I'm trusted with my rifles on an open ticket, and all the components to reload my own ammunition, so to make reactive targets would be a fun way to 'close the circle' as it were, as well as being an interesting exercise in its own right. I called my FLD earlier, but with it being a holiday up here both FEOs were away. I'll give them another call back tomorrow and see if I can get clarification. As far as I can tell, Section 9, Para 2 appears to allow for the manufacture of explosives in quantities no greater than 100g, but not for 'practical use or sale'. So whether target practice is classed as 'practical use' is kind of a grey area, I think. I'd want to clarify it before I took things any further. It may even be a question that they've not been faced with before, so it would be an interesting discussion, if nothing else

[h=3]Explosives not to be manufactured without a licence[/h]9.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), no person shall manufacture explosives unless he holds a licence for that manufacture and complies with the conditions of that licence.(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to —
(a)​
the manufacture of explosives for the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, demonstration or experimentation (but not for practical use or sale) where the total quantity of explosives being manufactured at any time does not exceed 100 grams, but nothing in this sub-paragraph shall be taken as authorising any acquisition or keeping of explosives for which an explosives certificate is required by virtue of regulation 7 of those Regulations, without such a certificate;

I read that as saying with a license to keep, you can manufacture small quantities. Not that anything under 100g is license exempt.

If you re-read it from '(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to . . . . '?

The way I read it is the manufacture of explosives in quantities under 100g is covered for 'the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, demonstration or experimentation......but not for practical use or sale'

I'd want proper clarification before I started mixing stuff together though. And, of course, it depends entirely on what the definition of 'practical use' is :-|

In any case, regardless of how anyone reads it, if they say 'no' it'll knock it on the head as I'm not prepared to be the guinea pig for a test case :scared:

If you re-read it from '(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to . . . . '?

The way I read it is the manufacture of explosives in quantities under 100g is covered for 'the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, demonstration or experimentation......but not for practical use or sale'

I'd want proper clarification before I started mixing stuff together though. And, of course, it depends entirely on what the definition of 'practical use' is :-|

In any case, regardless of how anyone reads it, if they say 'no' it'll knock it on the head as I'm not prepared to be the guinea pig for a test case :scared:

but nothing in this sub-paragraph shall be taken as authorising any acquisition or keeping of explosives for which an explosives certificate is required by virtue of regulation 7 of those Regulations, without such a certificate

I.e Quantities greater than 100g, etc . . . . .

So it basically says, 'If you're doing anything other than what Paragraph 2 says, you need a license'

are you wanting to make exploding targets

or

Explosive compounds then make the targets

2 differnt things

you can legally buy any Propellant used for reloading with no licence (propellant is not an explosive )

you can buy Black powder (which is an explosive) if you have an explosive licence (which doesn't mean you can manufacture it even tho its not difficult)

making a reactive target with either of these tho stupid you have not manufactured Explosive . you may Comer under anti terror or other law for making a bomb tho (but should depend on size )

I deliberately haven't mentioned anything about the compounds that could be used. Nor have I expressed any intent to make anything without first ensuring I'm not falling foul of the law

Last edited:
Cheers guys. The real question is the legality of using a binary explosive mix under the 2015 (updated) Explosives Regulations, and the terms of use by anyone not holding an Explosives License. A quick chat with the Explosives Licensing team in Edinburgh (your FLD will direct anyone not in Scotland to your regional equivalent if you're curious to find out more) led to the tentative response 'Yes, you're covered under the relevant section' (now Section 6, Paragraph 2, Clause (a) of the 2014 regulations) I've emailed for a more detailed response though, as I'd like to have confirmation in writing before I start mixing stuff that will go pop, bang or fizz. The lass I spoke to seemed to have a pretty good grasp of exactly what I want to do, but advised me to email directly for confirmation

Another way as discovered by an inventive shooter friend giving excellent visual result at 100 yds.

Buy a pack of A5 day glow card from cheap shop, cover day glow surface with sellotape or cling film (wide sellotape/clear parcel tape best) spray over sellotaped surface with cheap black spray paint.
Stick on a target dot and shoot away. Points of impact show up very well without leaving the bench.
Cost about 10p each?

Try it?

Sorted?

Back