Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laying scent trail

Laying scent trail

When laying scent trails with shoes i have started leaving the cleaves attached to shoes and putting the whole lot in the freezer between tracks. Does anyone else do the same and if so how many times defrosting and then re freezing do you think they will hold the scent? I am on about my 8th track on the same pair and dog seems to be slowing down a little although i am making the tracks harder as he progresses.

Hi
    i would change them after 3 trails so the dog does not follow the same scent every time. don't forget you are trying to train your dog to follow a individual scent of a single deer that might be in a heard of deer.crossing over different trails of earlier deer and so on. so you want your dog used to following different scents from different deer. not just the same scent every time.

If you know what i mean

ATB
    Cam

I only reuse them about once to try and cut down on the "same smell thing" I also vary species between Munty, Roe ad Fallow as much as I can.

I did freeze my sent shoes with cleaves on a couple of times, apart from the wife protesting, I noticed they took a lot longer to defrost than I thought and I was worried they might not fully defrost if I was in a rush and they would crack.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys........... but your dogs aren't tracking any scent trail left by deer cleeves fixed on the bottom of your boots. They are tracking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Talasker View Post

I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys........... but your dogs aren't tracking any scent trail left by deer cleeves fixed on the bottom of your boots. They are tracking you.
    This was my thoughts when I read it.

If i have dragged a blood rag or leg Ive used a long stiff fishing rod or hazel branch with several meters of bailer twine to seperate my scent from the scent you are laying down.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Talasker View Post

Is it only coincidence that the dog will track deer after using this method of training????

Scent shoes are dedicated to the job, therefore not have your scent on them....

Nell

Dan

I believe this erm cough, cough, "method". first came to light in a book written by some Dane by the name of Neil Sondergaard.

I am amazed at how many have fallen or should that be adopted it.

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post

Scent shoes are dedicated to the job, therefore not have your scent on them....

Nell
    Will your scent not fall on top of the scent you are laying?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

So you don't wear them, handle them or have any contact with them what so ever then.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    If i have dragged a blood rag or leg Ive used a long stiff fishing rod or hazel branch with several meters of bailer twine to seperate my scent from the scent you are laying down.
    Same here. I use a small plastic bottle with a dropper type neck hot glued to the end of some 10lb fishing line on the end of an old beach-caster fishing rod to lay blood trails. It allows me to remain at least 4 m off the intended track and to dot and dab as I go without compressing the vegetation. I use the same method with a deer leg when first starting the dog tracking.
    Last edited by Talasker; 13-06-2010 at 13:58.