A Friday evening Buck

Had a crap week so decided to get out for a few hours Friday, glorious evening & luckily spotted a lovely Roe doe after 5 minutes about 150 yards away. She was standing just out from the edge of the woodland feeding in the margin, bathed in sunlight without a care in the world, gorgeous russet coloured coat, a truly lovely sight.

After a few minutes moved on passed her & glassed a further three fields & then spotted a young Roe buck feeding in some long grass alongside a hedgerow. I was out with the dogs last week for a wander & spotted 3 prickets in the same area & had then decided a couple needed to go.

As I was some 250 yards away I decided to get in closer, I’m on a track that runs alongside the fields with not much cover so it was a case of bend over double & move slowly towards him.
By the time I was 100 yards away I was absolutely cream crackered, sweat was pouring off my brow & down my back & my legs & thighs were burning with the effort (note to self: must cut down the cigars & IPA Smooth
cry2.gif
)!

I opened up the sticks but then decided I would be too visible so left them on the track & moved forward again. I got within 60 yards & decided a low barbed wire fence post was a good bet for a rest, unfortunately long grass was between me & the pricket so I had to move again a few yards all the time bent double so he wouldn’t spot me. He was still feeding away oblivious to my presence until I reached a clear part of the fence line & then he saw movement, he looked up but wasn’t unduly bothered so I steadied my breathing (read panting
faint2.gif
) & shot him through the neck, he dropped, kicked two or three times & was still.

Crossed the fence, walked up & checked the eye for life, it flickered so I despatched him with my knife & walked back to fetch the truck, loaded him up & drove back to where I usually perform the grollach (near a muck heap so a good place for disposal). Stopped at the pub on the way to the chiller for the obligatory pint forgetting all about the note to self: must cut down on the beer!
whaat.gif
cheers.gif

Cheers

Chris

DSCN2522-1.jpg

DSCN2525-1.jpg

Chris

Well done - nice write up and great pics, though I can't quite conjure up the visual image of you walking along "bent double" - you'll have to show us at the Dog House ;):D

willie_gunn

Nice one Chris

So you opted for the hard way this time instead of the 'mobile high seat' option.:lol:

See you soon
Jon

I can do "proper stalking" as well young Jonathon never you fear :lol: the "mobile high seat" (Range Rover roof) is usually the best option sometimes. Must say even though it knackered me I did enjoy it. :D

Cheers

Chris

Chris

Well done - nice write up and great pics, though I can't quite conjure up the visual image of you walking along "bent double" - you'll have to show us at the Dog House ;):D

willie_gunn

What you trying to imply Dom, my stomachs not that big.............................well ok maybe it is! :rolleyes:

The ones you worked hardest for are the ones you always enjoy.
Good read.
basil.

And I did enjoy that one basil. :D

PS: Just sent a you a tenner for the Musgrove Park Hospital Childrens Ward, did a charity bike ride 2 Saturdays ago for our local childrens ward at the JRII in Oxford & 55 of us raised over £5K.

Cheers

Chris

Back