.223 lead free ammunition

Sako308

Any one use lead free .223 for Roe, are they effective? I think the options are limited to Winchester Power Core (64gr) in the UK, or Barnes VOR-TX but limited supply.

Hornday do a 223 round loaded with their 50 GMX bullet (lead free), sold under the Full Boar brand. I have never used them.

might be worth a look, as it should be going quick enough to give you acceptable expansion. (3300ish at the muzzle)

Andy7mm

Just worked up a load with Barnes XLC 53gr (precursor to the TSX)

Seems accurate in my gun
only shot one roe with it and that was a 20yd head shot so not exactly conclusive ...but it did the job

I am not really a buyer of the whole lead free argument
copper toxicity is just as nasty but i had a box and thought I would try them

Just worked up a load with Barnes XLC 53gr (precursor to the TSX)

Seems accurate in my gun
only shot one roe with it and that was a 20yd head shot so not exactly conclusive ...but it did the job

I am not really a buyer of the whole lead free argument
copper toxicity is just as nasty but i had a box and thought I would try them

I'm a bit of a subscriber to lead free as we eat most of the deer we shoot, plus copper bullets shed very little metal.

Toxicity: Metallic copper is not toxic ifingested, so any fragments of copper bulletsremaining in, for example, deer carcasses, donot pose a threat to wildlife or humans. 98.5%of copper ingested is excreted, so minimalbuild up is possible in living organisms(Kenntner 2009). In large quantities copper canbe toxic to trees, but the quantity contained ina stray bullet would be not be sufficient tocause damage. Copper bullets therefore poseno secondary poisoning risk to wildlife,humans or the wider environment.

http://huntingwithnonlead.org/PDFs_Main/ComparisonLeadvsCopper.pdf

I'm trying some Barnes TSX in my .222. Best accuracy of just under 1" groups at 80m so far.

Been using factory federal in 43g .222, and 25g hornady NTX in 22 Wmr Very accurate and effective, vey good price as well, the WMRs are only £9 a box,both calibres perform as well as anything ive tried in the past

hunters and engineers spent generations perfecting the lead and copper combination for hunting.... only to be forced into a position where an inferior lead free design was offered just in case lead was banned.

Behind that the anti hunting lobby had hoped that by driving for a ban on lead they could effectively bring hunting to a stop.

hunters and engineers spent generations perfecting the lead and copper combination for hunting.... only to be forced into a position where an inferior lead free design was offered just in case lead was banned.

Behind that the anti hunting lobby had hoped that by driving for a ban on lead they could effectively bring hunting to a stop.

That may well be true, I have absolutely no way of knowing.

The reason I am interested in expanding monolithic bullets is I see positive advantages in a projectile that will kill effectively with 98% retention rather than fragment through the meat I am going to be eating...whatever the material.

From reading about the background to the development of the Barnes lead free bullet range I did not pick up that he was forced into it at all. He was just trying to find a better bullet.

Alan

Last edited:

Mmmm, speaking from personal experiance, having had to use leadfree due to this being specified by landowners, i find that the lead free rounds i have used are in no way inferior and in fact in 22wmr they have performed better in terms of trajectory with terminal results for both the calibres i have tried being very impressive added to this the 22wmr rounds are £9.25 a box instead of £14, whats not to like?

Mmmm, speaking from personal experiance, having had to use leadfree due to this being specified by landowners, i find that the lead free rounds i have used are in no way inferior and in fact in 22wmr they have performed better in terms of trajectory with terminal results for both the calibres i have tried being very impressive added to this the 22wmr rounds are £9.25 a box instead of £14, whats not to like?

Out of curiosity, do any members based in Ireland know of anywhere in the republic where lead-free ammo can be obtained?

Any one use lead free .223 for Roe, are they effective? I think the options are limited to Winchester Power Core (64gr) in the UK, or Barnes VOR-TX but limited supply.

using the hornady 222 50 Grn NTX for fox, Canada's and Munties, really accurate, meat damage on munties is really small

nice little round
p

Back