Interesting article in ST this week

SC243

I don't wish to start another lead/copper debate, it has been done already. I'm only interested in peoples thoughts on the recent article in Shooting Times by Bruce Potts regarding the accuracy of copper bullets. It seems there could be some issues regarding consistent accuracy from copper.

Has anyone read the article and agree or disagree with its findings?

I read the article but couldn't comment on his findings as I've never used solid copper ammunition. It did provide an interesting insight into some of the ballistic factors - bullet length, tensile behaviour in the bore of copper vs lead etc.

Would appear that the web site is running about a week behind the on shelf mag.
Makes sense other wise we would all read it for free !!
So maybe have a look see next Thursday.

Probably should have posted this in the ballistics section!!

I read the article but couldn't comment on his findings as I've never used solid copper ammunition. It did provide an interesting insight into some of the ballistic factors - bullet length, tensile behaviour in the bore of copper vs lead etc.

I also found the article very interesting, especially the difference in bullet length and also the difference the seating of the bullet in the jacket can make. As I had some time on my hands I took 60 rounds of .243 100 grain Federal soft points from the same batch and looked at them. It appears there are differences in the depth of the bullet seating in some of the rounds. This would lead to the same sort of inaccuracies he mentioned in the article. I also found that the soft point on some of the bullets was dented changing the shape slightly, from my simple understanding of this it could change the ballistic coefficient of the bullet and again lead to inaccuracy!

As Iwrch says he has no such difficulty with accuracy from his own reloads, I’m sure every round produced meets a uniform standard. It would appear from a quick glance at my factory loads the only way to guaranty uniform production and accuracy is to produce your own! I am currently looking into reloading and the more I do the more I think it is the way ahead. I would hate to be on target of a quality beast and have that one round in the chamber that led to inaccuracy!

Read it
and so dissappointed in Bruce Potts comments
untill this day i had some respect for the man
shame on him:(:(

Back