Lapua Scenar bullets for hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnari

Hi fellas,

Do you have any experience with Lapua Scenar bullets for hunting ? I'm thinking of 155gr. Scenar in 30-06 for deer. The bullet is listed as a match bullet but i've heard some guys using it also for hunting.

Hi fellas,

Do you have any experience with Lapua Scenar bullets for hunting ? I'm thinking of 155gr. Scenar in 30-06 for deer. The bullet is listed as a match bullet but i've heard some guys using it also for hunting.

No ......................... Have always used bullets designed for expansion when hunting even though the Scener bullet has been around for decades. Sierra make a HP hunting bullet available in many calibers and I used the 140 grain HPBT Game King one in .277" in the 270 rifle and it performed well.

the best thing to do is trim the meplat back and use a flash hole de burr tool to chamfer .this is 180 scenar modified

Do people really sit down and try and turn match bullets into hunting ones? There are plenty of proven hunting bullets out there. If this was a good idea i think Lapua might have stumbled on it by now. The wuckfits never cease to amaze me.

In .308 I shot roe ,fallow and red, I found them very good with good expansion with out excess meat damagewhich was my main reason to switch, now Im on 7mm and tried them. Didnt loose the three roe and one red but they didnt expand properly on the roe but dropped the red on the spot. Im sure that with the diameter of the 30s it works like a bludgen where with the smaller rounds it does pass through so now on nosler ballistic tips

I have found scenars to be accurate but with a substantial tendency to ricochet. I have attributed this to a hardened lead core. For this reason alone I have changed from Scenars to Amax which should be more frangible. I have never used the Scenar bullet for game and can see no earthly reason why it would be a good idea to do so.

i have not tested the lapua 180 modified yet but if like me you only shoot sub 10 deer a year probably sub 5 and you have a stunning load for these bullets then yes its might sell prove worth it.to modify that bullet took 2 mins.

The best groups I've ever shot were with Nosler Accubond. My second best groups were with Nosler Ballistic Tips. If they weren't so dangerous for shooting paper, and cheaper, I'd use them for target shooting as well.

Really can't see the point in using bullets not designed for hunting on deer, when perfectly good, and superbly accurate, hunting bullets are available.

I've seen Scenars used. Both 155 and 185. Lad I knew was convinced they were the answer to the all-purpose bullet. Performance ranged from no expansion what so ever, to bullets coming out at odd angles and blowing roe deer almost in half, with everything in between; including a nice neat job. Trouble was you just never knew what you were going to get when the trigger was pulled. He decided to go with the Noslers after I showed him my test groups and saw them on deer.

Wolfie

I took some seirra 130 hollow point target rounds in 7mm and took the end out to 3mm and others out to 5mm on a pillar drill and yes they did more or less the same as some 100gr varmint bullets on telephone directories so it does work but a bit to well for stalking.

Don't most hunting round also have a thicker jacket to resist too much expansion and aid penetration? As above I'd have thought enlarging the meplat would turn it into more of a varmint round than a decent hunting round?

Scenar AFTER passing through an Elk......

epy4u2yj.jpg

an AMax AFTER passing through a Red Stag

you decide if Scenars are the best "match" choice for game

Chances are an unknown hunting/game bullet will expand in most cases. Game bullets will only work within a certain speed range. With target or match bullets one initially will not know if they will expand or not. I think the biggest misunderstanding is that many think match bullets are automatically non expanding, there is no reason or no advantage in accuracy to construct a bullet "non expanding". Some match bullets expand others don't. If one wants to use match bullets for game shooting one will have to do quite a bit of research to avoid runners.

Shot this fox with an A-Max this afternoon. He was quartering towards me coming in to the call.

20160605_131444_zpsttw64upv.jpg

edi

Hi fellas,

It's illegal as far as I'm aware!

In Iceland?
lol... just looked at his location.. fair point!!! :banghead:

I think Ed hit the nail on the head in photographic stylie.. whats the point, all a scenar will do is punch straight though quite probably leaving the beast to a long and lingering death. and even hollowed out, the construction is just not fit for purpose. As soon as you start drilling into the front you will destroy any BC advantage and there are much better alternatives at that point.

I can get sub MOA groups out to 600yds (the limit of my elevation adjustment) with Norma Vulkans and Nosler partitions aren't far behind..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back