Scottish Air Rifle Amnesty

Perhaps the money they raise when they auction them off will help keep licensing fees down........

(Well, it's a nice idea, anyway).

Anything handed in goes in the crusher. Its such a shame as ibe seen lovely rifles and even some very nice old shotguns all just chopped up.

If you were looking for a definition of 'pointless activity' ......I think we have one

An amnesty is a fixed period of time during which people are not punished for committing a particular crime. Airgun owners are not, currently, committing a crime so using the term "amnesty" is inappropriate and pejorative .

An amnesty is a fixed period of time during which people are not punished for committing a particular crime. Airgun owners are not, currently, committing a crime so using the term "amnesty" is inappropriate and pejorative .

Since when has the truth ever bothered Politcians? In fact we have to wonder if they would reconise the truth if they came across it?

As the main reason for the new legislation was due to a child being killed in 2005, I wonder if they are having a amnesty for car owners to hand in there cars as 200 were killed in 2014

As the main reason for the new legislation was due to a child being killed in 2005, I wonder if they are having a amnesty for car owners to hand in there cars as 200 were killed in 2014

May I just correct that statement: ..............................

As the main excuse for the new legislation was due to a child being killed in 2005, I wonder if they are having a amnesty for car owners to hand in there cars as 200 were killed in 2014.

That is not a reason it is just an excuse to futher curtail the ownership of guns. More children are probably likked on playground equipment each year but that does not suit the antis and their agenda.

Police scotland view anyone with a firearm as a criminal, in my experience!

I have mixed feelings about this. First I agree that antis and politicians and the uninformed, use these tragedies as an excuse to beat us up.

When Andrew Morton (aged 2) was shot and murdered by drug addict, Mark Bonini, he was being carried by his brother (aged 13). Bonini was reported as saying by his friend,'this is where I shoot school children in the morning' opening his bedroom window. I believe he fired indiscriminately from that same window when the kids were on their way to the chippy in the evening, hitting Andrew in the head. Bound to stir emotions, if it was our child or someone we knew.............

We, like many on here, run quite a well attended air rifle section at our club,where the kids (and adults) get properly instructed,often by Dads and Mums,taking an interest. If it takes membership of such, or other good reason, to clear irresponsible idiots of having air rifles off the streets, then so be it. I for one dont think its a totally bad objective.

Back in the day I believe youngsters were fortunate to being out and about with their gun without too much harassment.
Maybe more open spaces, look at where you used to play and see what's there now. There were no mobile phones for reporting to the police, often resulting in the ARU getting out for a bit of exercise, by busybodies who are mostly sad f*****s with nothing better to do with their time.

We are where we are, however this cluster**** pans out. It's the police with more pressure on them, who will have to make it work, which will be a miracle. We only have to look to killings and incidents that take place with FAC holders, who, if the bobbies had done the jobs, would not have had their firearms and probably not have happened.
Im sure I dont have to give events which we, legitimate law abiding holders, still suffer the consequences. john

Last edited:
Highlandsjohn,
I agree with most of what you wrote. However, my recollection of the events years ago with young Andrew Morton was that Mark Bonini was aiming for a fireman, and that Andrew plus brother had gone to see what the firemen were up to. It makes no difference either way, but I don't think that he was aiming for a child.
Like you, I have very mixed views regarding the legislation. I don't think that it has been properly thought through, but also there are some with air rifles that really should not. Would existing legislation get those folk? Possibly. Will this legislation stop them? Probably not.

Possibly the single most silliest idea...other than the EU wanting to ban all semi-auto hunting and target rifles as well as all ''military style'' firearms to stop terrorism...LOL

Highlandsjohn,
I agree with most of what you wrote. However, my recollection of the events years ago with young Andrew Morton was that Mark Bonini was aiming for a fireman, and that Andrew plus brother had gone to see what the firemen were up to. It makes no difference either way, but I don't think that he was aiming for a child.
Like you, I have very mixed views regarding the legislation. I don't think that it has been properly thought through, but also there are some with air rifles that really should not. Would existing legislation get those folk? Possibly. Will this legislation stop them? Probably not.

Feugh, I believe you're right about the firemen involvement, thanks for the correction,my bad.

He did get done for murder, if it did not get reversed, which must have been interpreted as a deliberate act. He's well off the streets anyway...john

Bonini's cousin gave evidence that Mark Bonini got an air rifle which he fired at a street light, house windows, a window cleaner and a girl prior to shooting the toddler. No-one seems to have called the police (grassing -oh no, no, no, you never grass) or tried to stop him. He was a drug addict. Both the toddler's parents are convicted drug dealers. There does not seem to be much respect for the writ of law.

Do you really think Neddy McNedface is going to waste £72 of our welfare largesse applying for a licence he probably will not get due to his previous ? Two chances, slim and fat.

Back