Lamb cooked in hay

weeman

As the title, has anyone got experiance cooking a leg of lamb in hay.
i intend to do so this Sunday by digging a pit etc.

Sorry, I have no experience of cooking lamb in hay, but I will be watching this thread to see what your report back says and if you have any tips to share. Good luck with it. Regards SBM

Last edited:
I think you may be thinking an NZ hangi style which is easy and good to do.
Hole in ground with bricks/stones fired up then covered over.

I hadnt heard of the hay way so looked it up,its not a pit job at all.

BBC Food - Recipes - Lamb cooked on hay, served with boulangère potatoes

Thinking along the lines of your nz hangi style of digging a whole with bricks etc and the lamb rapped in hay.
im thinking which may be wrong.
dig whole light a fire, warm the bricks/stones, dry hay, and rap the lamb in partially soaked hay and dry hay on top and cooked. Effectively seal the heat in with hay. May sound bizarre or nonsense.

Its. not done like a hungi, there is more than one way of doing it, but the usual way is by using a hay box, easy enough to make.
Goog!e it all the information is there.
Never done it myself but I have had it, can't say I was that impressed, hungi might be a better idea meat vegetables: everything in the pit
now that is good./

I I tend to rap the lamb in salt, pepper and plenty of fresh cut herbs and incase in the hay allowing to the lamb to be smoked.i do think it's going to be trial and error

Plenty of info on the web for both Lamb and venison.
Here's a good sounding venison one:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ID=137&usg=AFQjCNGq430Rflp3hFHKRr9D300Aeb60mw
Can't say I've ever heard of it but I like the sound of it. I used to supply whole muntjac to a chap that ran 'team building' survival courses to big companies. He used to set a fire pit going with stones on top whilst skinning and jointing the muntjac. The joints were then wrapped in Burdock leaves and then buried in the pit. They then spent a couple of hours building 'A' frame shelters and just as they were finished, dinner was served! Perfect! Sounds like you could do the same with hay.
MS

Ray meats did a roe haunch in a pit , built fire and if I remember few boulders from beach were put in till hot then moved to pit , haunch in then covered for 2 hrs I think

Found it !

Paul

As the title, has anyone got experiance cooking a leg of lamb in hay

Yes, I have. I tried it some years ago following the River Cottage method. It was utterly dire, and not something I've ever had the slightest inclination to try again
:eek:

As the title, has anyone got experiance cooking a leg of lamb in hay.
i intend to do so this Sunday by digging a pit etc.

Do you mean by using a hay box? i.e. assembling a stew or other slow-cooking dish in a heavy cast-iron pot, bringing to simmer then placing in the hay box for 8 hours to cook in it's own retained heat?

I have done lamb and goat legs in hay (HFW recipes) and enjoyed them, both in the oven and BBQ. Obviously placed in a pot so hay doesn't catch alight!

Back