Mod & Muzzle brake

Biathlonjimmy

I have just replaced the muzzle brake on my .22-250 with a moderator. It is much less violent and I don't have to wear ear protection. The down side is that I can no longer watch the bullet strike.

My very basic understanding of the laws of physics suggests the if a brake was placed after the end mod in a single unit this would both attenuate the nosie and deflect the gas providing both a quiter report and more inertia enabling observation of the strike.

I think if it's possible then it probably would have already been developed.

Is this idea completely outlandish?

Thoughts please.

J

Last edited:
Yes I have seen these. What ever happens inside the mod with the brake, the gas still exits through a small forward facing hole which doesn't reduce the recoil.

Brakes are effective because they force gasses is opposing directions to that of the bullet and therefore, I think, will only be effective forward and outside the moderator.

Brakes inside mods probably protect against gas cutting though.

change your position/technique or mod

I have a 300wm shooting full load 208gr bullets and can see the strike with the mod more than with the brake

the sheer weight of the mod and good design will usually reduce felt recoil more than a brake

I have a 6 port side vented brake with a very tight bore (8mm on a 7.62mm bullet) and the reduction is impressive but the lack of muzzle weight still presents more flip than with the PES T12 on the rifle

the rifle is a light sporter frame and barrel profile
regardless of the "small hole" the gas has expanded into a significant chamber cooling it, slowing it down and reducing the force of its exit by a considerable amount.

recoil is as much more the reaction to the charge ignition and propulsion of the bullet down the barrel as it is the expulsion of expanding gases out of the muzzle

Some people just don't like recoil I get that but there isn't any to speak of with a .22-250

Some people just don't like recoil I get that but there isn't any to speak of with a .22-250

change your position/technique or mod

I have a 300wm shooting full load 208gr bullets and can see the strike with the mod more than with the brake

the sheer weight of the mod and good design will usually reduce felt recoil more than a brake

I have a 6 port side vented brake with a very tight bore (8mm on a 7.62mm bullet) and the reduction is impressive but the lack of muzzle weight still presents more flip than with the PES T12 on the rifle

the rifle is a light sporter frame and barrel profile
regardless of the "small hole" the gas has expanded into a significant chamber cooling it, slowing it down and reducing the force of its exit by a considerable amount.

recoil is as much more the reaction to the charge ignition and propulsion of the bullet down the barrel as it is the expulsion of expanding gases out of the muzzle

Noted regarding technique. Oddly enough I can see bullet strike with my lightweight short barrel.308 (no mod/brake) but this is probably due to the magnification being lower and shooting prone.

The concept is really what interested me but I think that you've answered that. As the brake is only effective because it deflects gas to provide an opposing force to the recoil. The placement after a moderator will be ineffective if the gasses have cooled and slowed down so the opposing force will be much less.

Thanks for the reply,

J

Hi J,

I use / used a blaser muzzle brake and for a various reasons I put my atec back on ( Maybe temporally). My ears love the mod however my eyes prefer to see the bullet strike. I found by using the sling as tension leverage whilst firing (prone position) I don't loose as much sight picture. Out of interest what make of rifle are you using? An new recoil pad can work wonders as it reduces sight picture loss even on a 22-220.

There is also the option of using electronic ear defenders and keep using the muzzle brake!

Glendine.

Back