Canada geese

bobjs

ok lads a bit of a dilemma

I have been asked to remove some Canada geese from the area of one of the lakes near me, and I said no bother, so I had a check done with BASC and I can just crack on,

the dilemma is there are goslings now and wanted to ask what you would do, the numbers are large enough to cause a lot of damage to a SSSI area that needs to be protected.

would you wait to give the young ones time to grow a bit more or just get on with it,

thanks

bob.

Never done it and u may be too late for this year, but around this time the geese moult and are actually flightless so u can sort of round them up and cull wot u need to fairly easily

Goslings are pretty independent from birth and grow on pretty rapidly,and I think they form multi family creches like some other ducks/geese do, so I wouldn't worry to much if you take any of the adults.

I was going to mention not using lead on wildfowl, but googling the legislation, it looks like it specifically refers to lead shot from a shot gun...so I guess you are okay with a rifle...(assuming you were going to use a rifle)

I'd crack on asap!

ok lads a bit of a dilemma

I have been asked to remove some Canada geese from the area of one of the lakes near me, and I said no bother, so I had a check done with BASC and I can just crack on,

the dilemma is there are goslings now and wanted to ask what you would do, the numbers are large enough to cause a lot of damage to a SSSI area that needs to be protected.

would you wait to give the young ones time to grow a bit more or just get on with it,

thanks

bob.

As long as you comply with the general licence you should be fine, one place I do is SSSI I use the 222 on a grass backstop with non toxic hornady ammunition, works very well, I've found the 222 is the perfect calibre. They don't Move off the spot straight down, from a distance multiple shots are the norm, I normally have a good reduction before the nesting / egg laying kicks off and take one of a pair out, that really disrupts the whole flock and they do stay away, most time until the next Spring

good luck

phil

cheers lads.

spent all yesterday evening putting small flags up to heard them to the side of the lakes that are just outside the SSSI area, job done and from about 150 yards started the cull,

rifle was my tikka 595 6mmbr running 70 gr noslers.

bipod rear bag and spotting scope to check the birds as we have some pink feet there too. and after 6 hours of work and taking my time to check each bird before it was taken the numbers are now very low, 19 taken and 7 still to be done I think I have done a good job so far,

on close inspection of the area that they where concentrated in the ground was totally trashed, the small orchids and other SSSI things that the land was known for have been trashed and the amount of guano was just unbelievable,

so far job started but incomplete but ongoing, so I hope to have it all done this Saturday night,and then I will have to keep my finger on the pulse,

thank you for your help thoughts and support.

bob.

Last edited:
cheers lads.

spent all yesterday evening putting small flags up to heard them to the side of the lakes that are just outside the SSSI area, job done and from about 150 yards started the cull,

rifle was my tikka 595 6mmbr running 70 gr noslers.

bipod rear bag and spotting scope to check the birds as we have some pink feet there too. and after 6 hours of work and taking my time to check each bird before it was taken the numbers are now very low, 19 taken and 7 still to be done I think I have done a good job so far,

on close inspection of the area that they where concentrated in the ground was totally trashed, the small orchids and other SSSI things that the land was known for have been trashed and the amount of guano was just unbelievable,

so far job started but incomplete but ongoing, so I hope to have it all done this Saturday night,and then I will have to keep my finger on the pulse,

thank you for your help thoughts and support.

bob.

Nice one! good luck getting the rest.

Kinell! Bob!, most I used to get before the lift was two pair!

hi fin

it was a lot easier than I thought, with the goslings staying on the ground the adults stayed, some went a short distance and a fence stopped the wee ones from running to them so they came back.

just loaded a few more br rounds ready for tomorrow as I'm out on Saturday night...not shooting out but out out.

bob

total now 24

and no more to be seen last night so done some bunnie bashing out to 400 yards with the Br and then used the 20 tac to do the same job,

job on done me thinks

bob.

As the adults are in moult and cannot fly at this moment in time and obviously the goslings can't then it was a case of almost literally shooting sitting ducks.

personally speaking this is one of the most depressing threads I have read on a shooting forum.

Back