Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEO potentially wanting to inspect land

FEO potentially wanting to inspect land

Hello all!

Just had a message from my FEO about my FAC application about an interview etc. He suggested in his message that he might want to go and see the land that I have permission to shoot over. There are already people shooting .243 and 6.5 X 55 on it and I'm only applying for rimfire calibres.

How should I play this one when I ring him back tomorrow? I don't really want to have to do this if poss, the permission is 15 miles from home and seems a little unnecessary...
    many thanks!

It seems rather strange that he should wish to see the land where the calibers you state are already being used.
    I would first ask the people already shooting C/F rifles on the land if they are sure it has been cleared for them. I assume it would be but who knows?

If you don't have an open ticket then the land needs to be cleared. The others shooting there may have open certificates already in which case you may be the first person to necessitate land clearance. Bit of a legal anachronism.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Just massage his ego a bit, that's probably all he wants...Most of them use google earth nowadays don't they! i

When I first applied for FAC, the chappie wanted to have a look at the ground. It became clear, though, that it wasn't really the ground he was interested in: rather, it was my views on what consitituted backstops, safe lines of fire, and all that kind of thing - but demonstrated in the field. Plenty of 'what if you saw a pair of eyes in the lamp over there?' and 'what if there were some rabbits on that knoll there?'.

If this is your first application, then he might be thinking along the same lines - sensible, IMO, as it isn't the land that is intrinsically safe or dangerous.

All sounds fair enough to me, thank you. I'm pretty sure he's a new FEO and 99% certain that the farmer has been cleared to shoot both his 243 and 22 on his farm - the one on which I have permission. I'll have a chat to the guy tomorrow, may be that if at interview I bring up things like not shooting at a pair of eyes or unless there's a safe backstop he may not be too fussed. Thanks for your helpful replies as always!

Agree with Dalua - when I had a small patch cleared near my parents the FEO was more interested in its situation and giving advice to me as opposed to anything else - despite me having been shooting for 25 years....

As this is your initial grant, there's no harm - you don't have to be there - let the fella do his job and listen to what he has to say.

I suspect the the ground you've nominated is being shot by open ticket holders - I have permissions 2 and 3 counties away and A&S knew they were cleared for full bore by just checking the national records they hold.
    Last edited by Hereford; 08-06-2016 at 19:37.
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttoshoot View Post
    Hello all!

Just had a message from my FEO about my FAC application about an interview etc. He suggested in his message that he might want to go and see the land that I have permission to shoot over.
    You don't say if he just wants to go check the land, or if you're supposed to be there when he does ?

From the HO Guidelines.

13.11 It is accepted that land is not intrinsically “safe” or “unsafe” and that any shooter will
    have to exercise a strong measure of discretion in deciding whether to shoot in particular
    circumstances. However, the police will wish to be satisfied as part of “good reason” that
    the land nominated is not clearly unsuitable for the types of firearms to be used. The land
    inspection is intended only as part of the process of verifying that a “good reason” exists.
    It should not normally be extended to other areas of land on which the applicant intends to
    shoot unless there is to be a condition restricting a new shooter to specified land only. An
    inspection, where it is required, may provide a good opportunity to confirm that the applicant
    understands the characteristics of the land and the best places to shoot safely on it.

13.12 The applicant’s knowledge of safe shooting is also very important and they should
    therefore, where possible, be present when the inspection takes place. This will give
    applicants the opportunity to confirm that they are aware of any potential hazards and
    know that no shot must ever be fired from a rifle unless there is a safe backstop. Some of
    the issues that the police will need to consider in relation to all the circumstances of the
    specific application are:

a) Presence of rights of way, public roads and footpaths and their frequency of use;
    b) Proximity of dwellings;
    c) Suitable backstops relevant to the firearm to be used (also important with a shotgun
    when using section 1 ammunition);
    d) General topography of the land; and,
    e) Presence of any quarry species on the land (see paragraphs 13.9, 13.15 and 13.16
    for guidance).

It is not that difficult to call the FAD office and ask if a piece of land is cleared. I called my department some years ago to find 3 farms were only cleared for .22 lr. I asked if they could clear them for my .243 and a month later they were all done.

Stalking is very much like going to the night club

The more times you go, there is always a chance of going home with one

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

A firearms officer maybe 40 years ago refused to clear a 200 acre farm for a .22 rimfire - my first. No footpaths a couple of countryroads, plenty of woods and a formal warren which had got out of hand. Not very helpful and clearly not suitable for his job. I had another place in Herefordshire which west mercia visited and approved, thankfully. Now I'm open on all rifles, I can make the safety assessment myself, based on a 'few' years experience.