Can heads make medal under standard weights

Paul at Fechan

Now I know roe buck measuring is a bit of a strange thing and generally the standard dry weight is 455 to make an entry level bronze medal standard but what if the dry head is a few grams light and just spanking otherwise?

I never go by the weight that is used as a benchmark as all heads are scored by their own merits and "volume" can be the making of lighter heads.
The lightest example i have is a 400g net head,obviously would have been 490g gross and that scored 121ish points.With max span,good length and high beauty points some heads can afford to be on the lighter side.

bit of looking at the score sheets from 2014 and I can see heads that's net as low as 336gr net could make medals. Clearly though the good span, length and volume makes up where raw skull weight falls short. The example above is looking at 359 net but has good volume and 27cm length, possibly although a moderate span worth a measure in any case

Looking at that i would def get it measured and i usually do all mine so ive a decent idea whether it makes the grade or not,although obviously there will usually be a wee bit of deviation in beauty points from the judges.

Back