Birthday/Father's Day fun. (Not about stalking.)

Muir

It is Father's Day today in the U.S. and also it happened to be my birthday, so my son and I decided to go for an afternoon shoot with our revolvers at the local range. I was shooting my blued Model 27 Smith and Wesson .357 magnum and he was shooting his S&W Highway Patrolman .357 built on the same magnum frame.

We were both shooting well from the 18 yard mark and getting cocky, decided to shoot at a couple of playing cards from an over sized deck I keep around for fun targets with the .22 rifles. We decided to see who could hit the mark in the middle of the cards with the least amount of shots. He shot the Ace of Hearts, and I the Ace of Clubs. The targets are below.
.357cardsred.jpg

What was even more funny than us hitting the mark on our first shots was when we overlapped the targets.
357cardoverlapRED.jpg

You can see that the bullet holes darned near overlap! Like father, like son I guess! We both got a good laugh over it. It was a great ending to a great day. ~Muir

Both hanging slightly low and to the left, same as the cards :stir: Familial tendency ;)

ft

Last edited:
No Doubt. Now....if you could teach him to log off of the Skype instead of leaving it connected for 5 hours.;)~Muir

Thats all sorted, I blamed you for it entirely and my version was accepted :coat:

John

Muir
all i can say as a new member to the father hood clan
i can't wait to experience the same momentus point where your lad has done all he has learnt and put into practice what you hav taught him and done it better
one proud moment in my life i am waiting on
so good on u little muir

PS
also many happy returns of the day, as we don't get any younger

Yes, happy birthday Muir! :cool:

Any chance of a pic of the .357?

Alex

Sure Alex:

This is JR shooting his Model 28 Highway Patrolman 6-inch. This, like my Model 27, is built on the .44 magnum frame so it is a very robust revolver.
Andy shooting Fathers Day2CROP.jpg

This is my 8.375" barreled Model 27 S&W. The Model 27 is the finest .357 that S&W ever produced. Every gun was hand fit and tuned. The entire top of the weapon along the sighting plane is hand checkered. It is a really fine shooting revolver.
Model 27.jpg

This is a 5 shot group, off hand, from around 60 feet. As you can see it's plenty accurate.
.357bunnyRED.jpg

I posted this one a while back. This is a nickle-plated Model 27 that I bought for my daughter. I haven't given it to her yet....
Smith and Wesson, Sarah.jpg

I'm sure it will shoot well, also.~Muir

Muir
all i can say as a new member to the father hood clan
i can't wait to experience the same momentus point where your lad has done all he has learnt and put into practice what you hav taught him and done it better
one proud moment in my life i am waiting on
so good on u little muir

PS
also many happy returns of the day, as we don't get any younger

Stone: You have touched on something that I do cherish. Of all the activities connected with yesterday's events, going shooting and watching the years of teaching coaching pay off at the range (as he has done in all aspects of his life) was the finest gift I received. Before we left, we shot at a metal stake some 5 yards beyond our target frame. It is about 2.5" wide at it's widest point and I shoot it often when feeling cocky. I encouraged JR to have a go at it and he squarely rung it 3 of 5 shots, with the misses being oh, so close. Every chime made by a striking bullet poured fuel onto the warm glow of pride I felt.

You understand this, and I envy the journey you will take with your son or daughter. It was a happy trail for me and one that I will remember and relive until I'm laid low. Enjoy your self and make the very best of your time. It passes quickly. ~Muir

PS: Thanks all for the Birthday wishes!

Sure Alex:

This is JR shooting his Model 28 Highway Patrolman 6-inch. This, like my Model 27, is built on the .44 magnum frame so it is a very robust revolver.
View attachment 1425

This is my 8.375" barreled Model 27 S&W. The Model 27 is the finest .357 that S&W ever produced. Every gun was hand fit and tuned. The entire top of the weapon along the sighting plane is hand checkered. It is a really fine shooting revolver.
View attachment 1426

This is a 5 shot group, off hand, from around 60 feet. As you can see it's plenty accurate.
View attachment 1427

I posted this one a while back. This is a nickle-plated Model 27 that I bought for my daughter. I haven't given it to her yet....
View attachment 1428

I'm sure it will shoot well, also.~Muir

Nice! Obviously a very accurate revolver!

Alex

Thanks! I set up my Lyman turret press so that my son could produce as much ammunition as he wants without adjusting dies. I have about 300 commercial cast bullets in a box for him but started casting 170 grain semi-wadcutters yesterday afternoon. I have made about 400 of them in two sessions and plan on lubricating them tonight. That should keep the kid occupied! ~Muir

PS: We are camping in the Big Horn mountains of northern Wyoming this weekend. Jr will be packing his Model 28 six inch, and I will be carrying my Model 28 four incher: Both loaded with 195 grain bullets at full tilt. Reassuring ordnance in bear and lion country!~M

Happy birthday Muir.
I just e.mailed my Bro' in Ohio, didn't realise it was Father's day out there. I'd better send a P.S.
Nice shooting BTW.
Cheers, Pete.

Actually.... I was wrong. Father's Day is this coming Sunday. I was thinking that the 13th was the second Sunday of the month. Oops. :oops:~Muir

Back