Thread: Hunting the Kalahari

Hunting the Kalahari

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020591.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	652.5 KB 
ID:	71020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020601.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	668.5 KB 
ID:	71021Attachment 71018Attachment 71019

Hi recently returned from a trip to Namibia thought I would share a small portion of a magic experience, hunting in the Kalahari is superb, obviously a natural environment sand dunes covered with bush offering shade and cover for the game, the accommodation was 1st class,the hunting was walk and stalk none of the drive around jump out sort and the amount of game ? Well large numbers of Kalahari Springbok, Gemsbok, Eland, Steenbok, Hartebeast, Duiker some Zebra and Warthog but not to Many Warthog and the fairly rare Black Faced Impala
    The original deal was for 2 Gemsbok and 10 (may have been 12 can't remember) however after 3 Springbok I swopped out the remaining number for a hartebeast and a eland
    Whilst stalking we watched a fairly large herd of Eland and never having shot one I couldn't resist, so one day we set off, eventually locating a herd making their way through the bush, we made our way into the wind but after several attempts to get close we had to sit and wait, the herd were behind bush but two of them were stood 300 yards away looking around like sentries and not shoot able. Eventually things started to move,at last so could we, scrawling in the sand is really unusual nothing like Blackpool the herd continually moved we followed walking when we could,scrawling when we had to,at a approx 250 yards I eventually took a shot, 30.06 180GN Sierra Gameking, it went down from the 1st shot but it needed a 2nd.
    I also took 2 Gemsbok,a Hartebeast and 3 Kalahari Springbok. I should have took a Duiker or Steenbok although we see lots of Steenbok they were mostly female, the males that were seen proved to elusive for me
    Great trip, I can thoroughly recommend a natural environment with lots of game
    The PH was fantastic very knowledgeable and did everything he could to make it happen.
    If anyone wants any more information et me know

A guy when alive once told of how he was responsible to issue licences to shoot kalahari bush men
    how times change
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe