Lacing Boots

Frax

Apologies if you know this but it's one of those simple things that often pass one by.

If you get heel lift on your boot (which can cause blisters or hot spots) you can help reduce it with your lacing. When you reach the 'bend' in your boots rather than just carry on criss-crossing the laces do an overhand knot (like the first part of a bow) and then again for the next set of hooks up. This will help hold the boot steady around your ankle.

When you get to the top and are ready to tie the bow put an extra trun into your overhand knot. This will help hold the laces in place while you get tied, keeping the tension on the laces and holding your boot firm.

Ahh I was taught never to kriss cross your laces. My Grandfarther fought with the Gurhkas and used to tell the story of how they used to creep up behind the nice gentlemen (of un-known nationallity) and feel their laces... if "Ladder Laced" (I think thats what he called it) they would know that they were British, and would leave them alone, if laced up kriss-cross they were Germans, and therefore got a Kuhkri to the jugular very quickly and very quietly. :scared:.

Whether or not thats true... or whether its a way of getting small boys to lace their shoes properly I do not know. But its a good story.

Sam

don't know about the gherkins bit,but ladder is UK forces way can also be removed with a knife easily in one go by a medic,etc!!:camo:

don't know about the gherkins bit,but ladder is UK forces way can also be removed with a knife easily in one go by a medic,etc!!:camo:
same in the Andrew, except I was always told it was so you could lose your boots quickly should you end up in the briny :)

Sam - absolutely true, although the reason for lacing without crossing is to easy the removal of the boot when laces are cut after injury, badly swollen feet etc. Supposedly the Ghurkas used it to their advantage when identifying sentries.

They're not of the same calibre today, but they're still sneeky wee buggers. Just never give them any new kit - no-one can break it quicker "Mr, it broaken, it broke!" :lol:

Hi Sam,
My old man also fought alongside Gurkhas and he used to tell the same story re the shoelaces!!!

Hummel

Well there you go, must be true then.

Back to ladder lacing my boots then! :D

Sam

When I was in the Combined Cadet Force the story I was given for "ladder" lacing was that if you got an injured foot it would be a simpler matter to cut through laces done this way and get the boot off to treat the injury.:confused:

While you lot are on about laces, if you have had experience of laces coming undone, or going slack, try rubbing the laces last few inches with a candle, the wax seems to stop them loosening up.

I shall continue with the criss cross lacing I have used for many years successfully. So far I have not had to repel a night attack by Ghurkas or consider field first aid as a result of incoming enemy fire, mines etc. whilst stalking, therefore consider these poor reasons to change now!

I shall continue with the criss cross lacing I have used for many years successfully. So far I have not had to repel a night attack by Ghurkas or consider field first aid as a result of incoming enemy fire, mines etc. whilst stalking, therefore consider these poor reasons to change now!
hope you never turn an ankle or shoot yourself in the foot then :D

I read ,or maybe dreamt it cant remember, cross for girls ladder for boys not sure for bisexuals maybe its cross then a ladder then cross and so on apoligise if I have upset anyone ,

i use the chiruca boa boots with the stainless steel laces.......wonder what the gurkhas would say about them???????

At the risk of sounding a div if you ladder laced a pair of high boots how would you tie them around the hooks? pictures would be appreciated.

George

One of the recollections of late father of his wartime service involved the lacing pattern of boots! Not Gurkhas however...

He recalled how he was inspecting his platoon on parade when they passed one Gunner with his laces in criss-cross pattern.

My father asked his Sergeant why the man's laces were tied like that. Upon being asked the question by my father's Sergeant the man replied immediately, "Roman Catholic, Sir".

My father looked at his Sergeant who responded with a look of ignorance to my father as if to say that he didn't know if Roman Catholics were required to lace their boots in such a fashion!

So they quickly passed on to the next man and the quick thinking Gunner got away with it!

Back