Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing with a shogun

Towing with a shogun

booked in in to take my trailer test next month and looking at using my own vehicle (53 plate swb shogun commercial), does anybody know where the towing indicator lamp or buzzer would be located as I haven't seen one with a trailer connected up to the electrics.

manh thanks

This is one of those situations where you want it all installed by a pro so you have one less thing to worry about on the day. (Well just my thought)

A what? Towing indicator lamp? Is there such a thing?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Forget it. Just hit Google and got answer.....
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I believe the technical term is a 'tail tale' I bought the truck a year ago and it has a factory fitted Mitsubishi tow bar and electrics... I just can't work out if it has a tail tale or not. Guess il ring the dealer tomorrow

I think its a secondary circuit which dings when the lighting circuit to the trailer lights fails. When I had mine fitted the installer placed two leads plus a fused connection in the vehicle's fuse box. Details probably on the Witter site?

It may not be fitted as standard to a 2003 vehicle.

I was in a Shogun a few years ago that beeped every time the indicators were put on while towing a trailer (no faults, just letting you know the indicator is on). It did your head in.
    The vehicles i use for towing trailers don't do this. They put up the picture of a fused bulb, only if one of the trailer lights is faulty.

Try hooking up your trailer and taking one of the indicator bulbs out of the trailer to see if your Shogun picks up the fault. (there may already be something on it - plus for an indicator bulb being faulty the indicators will flash faster). Then try it with a tail / stop light bulb removed.

It tells you when a trailers electrics are coupled up correctly visually and when you indicate it sounds, all vehicles before a certain date? should have them.
    After that date it may remain the same or be a light or series of light or even warnings on a screen.
    Last edited by levigsp; 14-06-2016 at 08:46.

Thanks all, I've found the indicators start flashing really quickly when a fault is detected. I have also spoke to the test centre and it is not a requirement for the test vehicle to have a tale tail indicator fitted. Result!

Had mine on the Hilux wired professionally as its a pickup there is no light but a buzzer when the indicators are used. It's a legal requirement so good job you got it sorted or you would have failed before you started.