GGG 7.62 vs Win 308 reloads

spatan7510

was looking at this video:

was curious if folk on here have reloaded GGG NATO and WIN 308 cases like lapua, IMI ect?
Question is if you are using same bullet heads, same primer, same make of powder do you compensate for the powder weight differences in the different cases?

closing the gate after the horse has bolted

rule number 1: work up to operating loads when changing ANY component

Unless I've misunderstood what this chap was up to, it seems that he was making his 7-08 brass from .308/7.62 brass. Then, having worked up his load in some light commercial .308 brass, he's loaded the same charge into heavy military 7.62 brass.

I'm not sure that the problem has arisen from any differences in 7.62 chamber size or shape, has it?

I wonder if his point is really:
Don't use a load worked up in light brass in significantly heavier brass.

or better still:

When changing components, back off and work your load up again.

Edit:
Like Bewsher said minutes ago, in fact.
:)

The guy's an idiot. Nobody talks about 308 and 7,62 NATO brass being equivalent. It has been long known that NATO brass is heavier. Additionally, if he wanted to prove it, he should have prepped a batch of clean cases, identically, (FL size, trim) and weighed the difference in the cases. Almost lastly, the damage to his bolt face -that severe erosion around the firing pin- is something I have never seen by having a single blown primer. I suspect this fool has been at it a while and is here, baring his soul after someone with some experience called him on it.

Lastly, neck turning is nice but the problem with brass thickness is in the thicker shoulder area compressed into the base of the inside of the neck when you convert 308 to 7mm-08. To do the job correctly, you need to ream the inside of the case neck; not turn metal off of the outside. I shoot mostly reformed Lake City and SBS military brass in my 7mm-08. I have never had a problem. My most accurate loads come from reformed military brass.~Muir

First clue that this guy might not really know what he is talking about was when he said "the difference between 5.56 and .223 are pretty obvious to some of us". The difference is the heaver military brass and the throat length. Note how he does not mention what the differences are. Always a good qualifying question, what is the difference between 5.56 & .223.

what is the difference between 5.56 & .223

Well the obvious thing is that one has two fives follwed by a six and the other two twos followed by a three and the decimal point is in a differnet place...................................:lol:

Back