Pine Martens in Glasgow?!

This one met its end in Milton of campsie about 9 or 10 miles north of glasgow. Was genuinely surprised they were in the vicinity.

They are spreading extremely fast
With a little help !.

A few years ago to find a pine-martin, you would have to go to Inverness, now they are common, around here, and a friend of mine shooting grouse in Yorkshire last year was told by the keepers there, that they are now troubled with them.
If your pheasant poults at your release pen are being killed, and the minefield of traps, and snares round the outside of the pen is not catching, lookout for the pine martin coming in along the braches, and taking the pheasants off the roost. They are not good news.

they're increasing rapidly in some areas because they're being trapped further north and being introduced artificially. :evil:

I contracted in Elibank, never saw any then. Must of moved in fairly quick and recently. They might sort out the greys!

They have been in elibank for quite some time. With them being introduced its no wonder they have been seen in various areas around this part of the borders.

M

I had the stalking at Elibank for a year & didn't see any. Doesn't mean they're not there though. Gave it up as it was so heavily disturbed but a lovely spot none-the-less.

I had the stalking at Elibank for a year & didn't see any. Doesn't mean they're not there though. Gave it up as it was so heavily disturbed but a lovely spot none-the-less.

All the forests around this area are now very!! Heavily disturbed with walkers/bikers/horse's. It's just the way it has gone in recent years. This has changed stalking somewhat, as you have to adapt to the volume of people going about. And as for the elusive pine Martin yes they are in there and have been in longer than you may think, also quite well spread now.

Back to the original post, it's interesting to hear they are around the Glasgow Area, I wouldn't rule out human involvement on there spread. (Only a thought)

M

Back