Plummer Terrier

A Guy Out West

If anybody knows about them, I'm guessing you folks should. I acquired a couple of books by David Plummer, very enjoyable and entertaining reading for me. Mr. Plummer appears to be the opposite of the members of this site but he sure did create a good looking dog. Does anyone have one? I am not a terrier man but the Plummer Terrier is a very impressive looking dog. How are they tempered? Do they listen well? Anyone use a Plummer as a deer dog? I would love to have one to take with my Mt.Cur when coon and squirrel hunting.

If anybody knows about them, I'm guessing you folks should. I acquired a couple of books by David Plummer, very enjoyable and entertaining reading for me. Mr. Plummer appears to be the opposite of the members of this site but he sure did create a good looking dog. Does anyone have one? I am not a terrier man but the Plummer Terrier is a very impressive looking dog. How are they tempered? Do they listen well? Anyone use a Plummer as a deer dog? I would love to have one to take with my Mt.Cur when coon and squirrel hunting.
to answer your questions they're
same as most terriers hard of hearing hard mouthed and hard working ideal for what you want I'd think .a little leggy for some earth work but good ratting bushing dog can be fighters like most of the blighters of the terrier world

I have a red Patterdale, not to far removed from a Plummer. Great little dog, brilliant ratter, has lost none of it's working heritage as I'm sure the Plummer won't have either. Have kept mine away from holes deliberately as I don't fancy having to dig the little bugger out. I'd say that that could be your only potential problem if it ever got a taste for it.

As said above, good for ratting and bushing, as terriers they have a typical terrier nature, It all depends what your looking for from the dog

I breed them mate.
Theres a couple of pics of my two!
I love these little dogs, both of the. work along side ferrets for rabbit, go to ground bush to the gun and there hellish ratters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 95
Thanks guys. Really like the Patterdale too. Great pictures Wearborne! The wheels are spinning.

Used to work a pair of patterdales on rats and mink with the occasional fox if it found a hole before I did. If plummers are anything like then cracking working dogs and they DONT give up

Fursty,
They certainly do beat a rat trap. That looks like so much fun. Iv'e never know anyone to rat like that over here, I'm sure somebody does it. What a great to spend a Saturday or Sunday in the off season. Might even end up with a invitation to hunt on the farm.

I've a black and tan lakie bitch i've taken stalking, more to keep me company than anything ! She's quiet and has been not been encouraged to go to ground, will work close and finds shot deer.
But its true has jaws like a lion

Had a few terriers in my time, and my son continues the tradition, he keeps patterdales working them weekly, never had much luck with Plummer terriers, usually afraid of the dark, but great ratters and chicken killers.

Phillips321,
I looked at the link. You ARE the dog man, never saw a terrier that would retrieve. Looks like you can get yor terriers to do anything.

Over all the years that I have worked Terriers I have never rated the Plummer type Terrier.
None of the guys that I have been associated with have either.
In fact a good friend of mine purchased a pup off a supposed good line of workers?
After 20 months of it being scared of the dark it was given to a pet home.
Guy my only advice to you is forget about hyped up named Terrier line/breeds and purchase one from truly tested working stock.
There`s still dedicated people out there who value and keep good stuff.
Good luck in your search and like ole big nose say`s "Dig Deep &Throw Well Back.. ;)

My uncle breeds the little black blighters and has done for the last 30 odd years. I had one off him 13 years ago and the old Bugger is still going now! I had planned on retiring him last year when he went a bit old looking and I thought he was going a bit doddery anyway when I informed him of his retirement he promptly disappeared underground and bolted a fox. I don't work him properly anymore but I still take a spade with me if I take him out walking! As a pet dog he is brilliant. Babies could craw over him and he'd not so much as turn a hair. Even in his dotage where he's entitled to be a bit grumpy he'd get up and move if someone was annoying him rather than growl or bite. The thing to remember about terriers is if they want something they will have it! As my mate found out one day out hunting and the dog smelt a fox brush he had in his glove box! He lives free range most of the time and doesn't really wander but if I had two together they'd have to take turns going out because they're like naughty kids together and do get the wanderlust!

Back