Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Buck

My First Buck

**Edit. Sorry Ive just realised I posted this in the wrong forum. Apologys.**

Just thought I would add to all the fascinating stories i have read on here about other people first time experiences.

Ive been shooting a while but only fairly recently got my DSC1 and have been trying to get some simulated stalking experience before fluffing it with a real shot, Im not a believer that a 1 day exam equates to any type of real experience.

Anyway I had practiced stalking a few of the Roe bucks I have on my permission and decided it was time to bite the bullet and do it for real. So, 6am on a lovely Saturday morning finds me out on the estate having a wander down the copse lines to see whats about.

Lo and behold in the first 5 mins I spot the usual group of 3 Does and one Buck about 400 yards across a fairly steep valley with a tall tree line on my side of the slope. I go in to sneaky ninja mode and try to make my way down to the tree line without being seen in order that i can get in to a position to take the shot.

After 20 mins of back breaking sneaking I get to the end of the tree line, poke my head around the corner to see if i was sucessfull.....nope! Clearly my sneaky ninja skills are not quite up to scratch as there is now only one Doe there in the long grass about 150 yards away looking in my general direction as if to say "How stupid do you think we are??"

I decide at this point that its time to have a rethink, and as anyone who know me knows I think best over a cup of coffee. I prop my rifle on my sticks get out my canteen and pour myself a hot one, when looking up im now seeing 2 Does not one. Having got past the thought that i may have had a stroke i realise that the entire group must still be there but are hidden by the long grass.

They must have heard my thoughts as the next second the whole group explodes out of the long grass and takes off, quartering across the hill. Covered in coffee I grab my rifle and sticks and yell out the first thing that comes to mind "OI!!!", not traditional Ill admit but it worked, the group stopped broadside to me and I took the shot dropping the Buck where he stood. Reload. Wait. Wait some more. Wipe coffee off of trousers.

Walked down the valley and up the facing hill to find my friend dead in his tracks, and more fortunatley dead by one of the vehicle tracks as I didnt fancy dragging him back up the hill.

It was a great experience for me, and I felt rather pleased with myself and not a little bit manly having made the bullet, stalked and shot the deer, took it home and butchered it and that night had a very nice Roe Deer Chilli.

Thanks for reading.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00053-20100530-0741.jpg   IMG00055-20100530-0742.jpg   IMG00054-20100530-0741.jpg  
    Last edited by WiltsPat; 15-06-2010 at 09:48.

Well done you, that's a decent buck for a first. I am sure that the satisfaction when you eat him will be all the more as it is all your own work.

And the first one is the one you remember most Cracking stalk and a nice head - would be a crying shame not to mount a buck like that!

I hope you didnt lug that great box around with you though! .

"Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Well done! One you'll never forget. I dont know much about heads but that looks like a pretty good one to me

excellent result!!! and may it be the first of many to come.SAM is right pat,get it mounted! what a cracking head for a first!!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Well done on the stalk, the pics and the write-up.

Regarding getting the head mounted, if you're in Wiltshire you're not going to be far from Colin Dunton.

Congratulations again.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Congratulations Pat,

A lovely head and one to be proud of. There will be no stopping you now.

Good Luck

Well done Pat, great result!

I've moved this into Write-ups

Thanks for the replys, Re the head Im actually erring towards something a bit more practical. My wife is a beater on my pheasant shoot and she is always picking up nasty sticks to beat trees with.

I found a site on the net that sells remarkably cheaply all the bits and pieces for making a nice thumb stick, so Im planning on mounting one of the antlers and making her a thumb stick for her birthday...Looks good...earns big brownie points lol

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Make it into a thumbstick

I greatly admire the intention, but please don't. I have the antlers of the first buck I shot on the wall, and it still brings back memories. Once it's gone, it's gone

If you want to make a thumbstick for your wife I have everything you need - shank, threaded rod, lots of antlers, ferrules, etc. I'll even happily donate them to you if you'll just keep that head intact.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!