RFD Receive fee

Thanks Mike

From searching the forum I was expecting about 25, plus a little, as those refs were 2-3 years ago.

My local one wants £45, I thought that was a bit steep.

Ask around at locaish RFD's as I am fairly sure you will not get it done around here for less that £25 and probably more. The Police keep adding more and more burdens paperwork wise onto RFD's so it takes them longer to do. Watched a RFD do a transfer recently and it took a fair while.

Thanks Mike

From searching the forum I was expecting about 25, plus a little, as those refs were 2-3 years ago.

My local one wants £45, I thought that was a bit steep.

Try Gordon Smith at Colpy. Not far from you. I think I was £15 when he got a rifle for me.

My local is £15 but another place near by doesn't charge anything if I buy something at the same time.

Spoke to Colin at Grampian Guns - £20 for locals, and can be in the evening by arrangement.

Last edited:
Ask around at locaish RFD's as I am fairly sure you will not get it done around here for less that £25 and probably more. The Police keep adding more and more burdens paperwork wise onto RFD's so it takes them longer to do. Watched a RFD do a transfer recently and it took a fair while.

On the contrary if the receiving dealer is carrying out the process as it should be done there is less paperwork involved so any fee if charged should be minimal.

On the contrary if the receiving dealer is carrying out the process as it should be done there is less paperwork involved so any fee if charged should be minimal.

True, last one I received it was still in the box unopened. I opened and checked it and the RFD simply filled in his ledger and wrote on my cert. Took about 10 mins.

RFD, need to be there to receive the package, provide safe storage, do the paperwork, has his premises and insurance to pat for - How many on here work for little or nothing.

Sandwell Field Sports wanted £25, no paperwork, , just receive, check it's on ticket and hand it over. I used Pete at DAI instead :thumb:

£10 from the guy who deals from home at all hours (I once collected a rifle at 9:00pm on a sunday) but usually free if I happen to stock up on ammo etc, shop down the road is £35 and I was once quoted £60 from a shop over the border

I shall inform him that he is obviously doing it wrong next time I see him. It will be interesting to hear his reply!

Now it is true that there is less paper as it is done on the computer though a copy of the notification to the licensing office is printed off for the new owners records so the new owner does not even need to inform the licesning office as it is done for them at this time.

I shall inform him that he is obviously doing it wrong next time I see him. It will be interesting to hear his reply!

Now it is true that there is less paper as it is done on the computer though a copy of the notification to the licensing office is printed off for the new owners records so the new owner does not even need to inform the licesning office as it is done for them at this time.

I think that's where he is causing work for himself by insisting on using the system that many people used in the previously and that we are now told was incorrect. My understanding of the "new" system is that the receiving RFD merely accepts delivery of the gun and then verifies that the new owner has it already correctly entered on his certificate by the seller before handing it over. The receiving RFD has as far as I am aware no notifications to submit as these are carried out by the buyer and the seller, and absolutely minimal record keeping.

I fully accept that some charge is reasonable as you don't expect the RFD to carry out this service for nothing but using the "new" system his charge shouldn't be anything like the charges that have been made by some in the past. That is unless he is charging a punitive fee because you have gone elsewhere other than buying from him.

Last edited:
Of course it could also be that as I was only a bystander that the transaction I saw was not a simple transfer from another dealer. That is something I will ask next time I am there. It is amazing that a system that was being used for many years is suddenly decided that it is incorrect even though it worked. I myself used this transfer system to buy a rifle that was too far away to drive to collect and that was more economical to have shipped to a local dealer for collection. This transfer system was also used when I had a rifle checked over and some work done on it to get it back from the smith who was not local. It was much simpler then.

should cost no more than £15, thats what my RFD down at Bisley charges anyway. He said its simply filling out forms and transferring to your ticket, no big deal. Send RFD usually charges more because it includes the transport + paperwork.

£10 from the guy who deals from home at all hours (I once collected a rifle at 9:00pm on a sunday) but usually free if I happen to stock up on ammo etc, shop down the road is £35 and I was once quoted £60 from a shop over the border
That's the beauty of friends being rfd's, the shop here asked for £35 to accept a mod for me. and it's not about overheads they just think they are the only rfd for miles , if they were reasonable, I would still be using them and putting a lot more business their way.

That's the beauty of friends being rfd's, the shop here asked for £35 to accept a mod for me. and it's not about overheads they just think they are the only rfd for miles , if they were reasonable, I would still be using them and putting a lot more business their way.

When our usual carrier was imposing huge increases around Xmas,my RFD stopped using them. The result was I had a rifle and mod sitting in the shop for a month. I eventually paid £60.00 for each item to be sent.
To add insult to injury, my RFD decided to let the receiving RFD do the transfer paperwork. When no confirmation of transaction came to me within the week I checked with my firearms officer who said my RFD is responsible for the transfer paperwork.(which has always been the norm)
The outset of this stramash is FtoF only. I believe the charge is now £35.00 but I won't be using it,too much hassle. John

I think that's where he is causing work for himself by insisting on using the system that many people used in the previously and that we are now told was incorrect. My understanding of the "new" system is that the receiving RFD merely accepts delivery of the gun and then verifies that the new owner has it already correctly entered on his certificate by the seller before handing it over. The receiving RFD has as far as I am aware no notifications to submit as these are carried out by the buyer and the seller, and absolutely minimal record keeping.

I fully accept that some charge is reasonable as you don't expect the RFD to carry out this service for nothing but using the "new" system his charge shouldn't be anything like the charges that have been made by some in the past. That is unless he is charging a punitive fee because you have gone elsewhere other than buying from him.

Yup My RFD would not deal with the paper work on my new rifle - I had to send my FAC to seller to be filled in, then rifle and FAC sent to local RFD who merely received it, then handed it to me. Still cost £15.00 though !

Back