Minutes of Angle

buck52

I understand that a scope that has 1/4" clicks means that 4 clicks equals 1 MOA @ 100yds, 2 MOA @ 200 yds (roughly)

My swarovski is 1 click = 0.36" @ 100 yds, am I right then that trying to calculate come up etc is virtually useless on this type of scope.

A Minute of angle is a 60th of a degree. A 1/4 MOA is a 1/4 MOA regardles of the range. A 1/4 MOA represents roughly a 1/4'' at 100 yrds so 4 clicks up, for example, will shift the next group up by 1 inch at 100 yrds or 2'' at 200 yrds. This is the theory, in reality, the best thing is to use it as a guide then check for yourself on the range. This is easier to do at longer range as, if you are looking for a 1 inch change of MPI but shooting 1-2'' groups it all becomes a bit pointless. As for your Swarovski, just consider 1 click to represent 1/3 MOA and work from there. JC

I understand that a scope that has 1/4" clicks means that 4 clicks equals 1 MOA @ 100yds, 2 MOA @ 200 yds (roughly)

My swarovski is 1 click = 0.36" @ 100 yds, am I right then that trying to calculate come up etc is virtually useless on this type of scope.

I think you can calculate come-up's with this scope: 3 clicks will move you one inch at 100 yards.

NewForester.

Hi

I suspect that the swarovski is calibrated in 1cm at 100m increments. This is the same adjustment as 0.1 milradians ie 1 milradian = 10 cm at 100m or 1 metre at 1000m.

Personally I find the metric system far easier than MOA, particularly if you have a reticle such as a mil dot that is graduated in milradians. It just takes a little of getting used to.

Cheers

S

HI

Just a passing note under EU regulations 1234/347854/hf6/87/2010 Para 4 it is illegal to shoot a firearm in the EU either in the field or the range using imperial measurement on you optical aiming devices or trying to convert a scope that is metric to shoot imperial groupings;)

Mark

Hi

I think the minor difference may well be the difference between 100m and 100 yards

ie 100 m is 109.36 yards and so one click will make a slightly larger adjustment (9% more) to the point of impact. This equates to 0.39 inches per click at 100 metres which is the same as 1cm clicks.

Easier to work in metrics with this scope I think

Cheers

S

Hi

I think the minor difference may well be the difference between 100m and 100 yards

ie 100 m is 109.36 yards and so one click will make a slightly larger adjustment (9% more) to the point of impact. This equates to 0.39 inches per click at 100 metres which is the same as 1cm clicks.

Easier to work in metrics with this scope I think

Cheers

S
Thanks for the input.
I have the exbal programme, can I make it calculate in metric then, I have scoured it and can find out how to do it.

Back