Changing stock shape with fibreglass? Anyone done this

6.5rem700

Hi all
i want to change the shape of a Boyds laminate stock
i am thinking of adding some hight at the comb and possibly filling in the
thumb hole

I thought I might use fibreglass body filler? Then paint the hole thing
anyone done anything similar and if so what products did you use

any advice welcome, I know I could just get another stock but like to have a project
and will keep the costs down
thanks all
paul

Remember to leave enough space so that you can still remove the bolt...just a thought.

I've seen it done on a few fiberglass stocks and it worked just fine . You could also build a cheek piece out of laminated wood and epoxy it on . Maybe contact Boyds and see if they have a piece that would match your stock or try and source one locally .

As for filling the thumb-hole , why not . I would be careful about reshaping it after , as in a traditional pistol grip , as there wouldn't be much original wood left in the grip area if you do . Other than that , have at it .

AB

Ok guys ime done
The Action is from a 1960 German Krico.222
i do have a sporter stock for it but wanted a heavy stock for long range shooting
so bought a 2nd hand Boyds laminate inleted for a rem 700 sa
and made a start filling the Inletting and dremeling out the inleting for the Krico
it took many hours in my messy shed filling and creating the shape that I wanted
anyway all done so thought I would show you all

Filler seems to be ok, I have a R93 stock that the rubber panels came unglued on and Blaser did not supply new panels so I filled the areas with body filler and then painted. Not that pretty but it's a Blaser so it sort of matches the rest of it. No shrink or cracking at all but I did bo it in stages.
Your job looks very good.

Filler seems to be ok, I have a R93 stock that the rubber panels came unglued on and Blaser did not supply new panels so I filled the areas with body filler and then painted. Not that pretty but it's a Blaser so it sort of matches the rest of it. No shrink or cracking at all but I did bo it in stages.
Your job looks very good.

A few years ago a friend had the same problem with the rubber bits falling off. I phoned Blaser for him and they were very forthcoming to fit new rubber bits to his stock. In another case they sent rubber spares and a bottle of a special Loctite glue.

back to filler.

If one has a wooden stock adding a piece of wood and reshaping like others said is not a bit deal to do.
Fillers are maybe better used in thinner layers as they are quite heavy.
edi

Hi straightpull, I did it with devcon putty and waited till it was just going of (taped the area off obviously)
then stippled it with a thin plastic bag and lolly pop stick
It worked a treat

+1
when I had a play with the pistol grip it was done with p38 , I made it up over laid it on the glass and with a glove on I made the grip it so it fits my hand and the thumb hole was done in same way so the hole matches my hand size
Think I will use Isopon P40 then cover it with Isopon p38

Fantastic job and attention to detail , my workshop is lots bigger than yours but I have lots more cr*p per square foot than you LOL you must update us on how it shoots
Cheers
Ray

Thanks all for your positive comments

this group (100yrds) was with the original sporter stock , it is great of sticks but I struggle to get behind it properly
when on the ground of a bipod

this group same distance was in the new stock .222 with 69gr TMK N140 , 1-9 twist barrel

Back