Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seized mod.

Seized mod.

Does anyone know how to disassemble a seized up ATec moderator?
    I tried submerging it in WD40 for 10 days and that allowed one segment to unscrew.
    Really should have ignored the warning on the box which said ' Please do not take this moderator apart, unauthorized disassembly may void warranty'.
    Any ideas appreciated.

If it's that tight a couple of strap wrenches on it should work without damaging it
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Thats the Maxim that is no longer being made - replaced by the Hertz - in large part because of problems occurring because of 'over enthusiastic' disassembly by owners - even after the stickers were applied.

If there is a fault or issue with it - then a quick call to Jacksons and they will almost certainly sort it for you and very efficiently too.

Apologies for unreqested comments

Kroil - if you can keep the stuff in its can - it CREEPS like crazy - is the most effective penetrant I've ever come across. That in a soak, plus strap wrench and GENTLE heat will most likely resolve. But genuinely - you'll find Jacksons very helpful.

Hope you get sorted.
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016

Bought one a while back at auction with the mod a T8 well stuck on I soaked it in oil for a few days I heated it while freezing the barrel I used strap wrenches on it in the end I had to use a stillson with a three foot extender bar for extra leverage with the rifle in a vice and mole grips on the barrel.Even after we got the first movement we couldn't get it off by hand we had to use the stillsons till it was fully off

See similar threads at the bottom of this page they use freezer and then hot water .

WD40 (water displacement) - did a fine job in their advertising campaign - trouble is that the molecule is just too big for good penetration.

Ordinary paraffin, I learned about 20 years ago from an engineer, has a very small molecule so is very good and cheap although obviously a bit smelly.

My mechanic used a product called Plusgas to free off a brake sensor that had welded itself to the car - not used it myself.

Good luck

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

There's also a mixture called 'panther piss' that is a superb penetrating fluid. It's a 50/50 mix of acetone to brake fluid. If that doesn't loosen it you're in real trouble
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Mix acetone with auto transmission fluid and soak in that, it is the best freeing oil there is

Plus-Gas - shifts everything bar a cold weld
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Plus-Gas - shifts everything bar a cold weld
    Up until you couldn't find it anymore, it was the preferred brew of sniffers, but yes, the best easing fluid made.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!